What Weapon Did A T-4 Use On D-Day?

55rocker52

Ok,

You experts, what was the weapon of choice for a T-4 Tech-Sgt. platoon leader during D-Day? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KT

A technician was generally not addressed as such, but rather as the equivalent line (NCO) rank in its pay grade (T/5 as Corporal; T/4 as Sergeant; T/3 as Sergeant or Staff Sergeant). Officially, a technician did not have the authority to give commands or issue orders but could under combat conditions be placed second in command of a squad by a Sergeant. Unofficially, most units treated them as though they were of the equivalent rank of the same pay grade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army_enl...of_World_War_II

Armament would probably vary according to the unit, and the T-4's job, but an M1 Carbine, or an M1911A1 would be a good bet.

Regards

Joe

Ok,

You experts, what was the weapon of choice for a T-4 Tech-Sgt. platoon leader during D-Day? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KT

A technical sergeant was a line NCO of the second-highest grade (two rockers). A platoon leader was normally a lieutenant, but a technical sergeant was often a platoon sergeant. A T/4 was the technician equivalent of a sergeant.

As for armament, Bazooka Joe is right. It would depend upon the type of unit and the individual's specialty.

--Justin B.

A technical sergeant was a line NCO of the second-highest grade (two rockers). A platoon leader was normally a lieutenant, but a technical sergeant was often a platoon sergeant. A T/4 was the technician equivalent of a sergeant.

As for armament, Bazooka Joe is right. It would depend upon the type of unit and the individual's specialty.

--Justin B.

I guess that is what I have to find out. I have to find his full records first, and I guess take it from there.

Thanks,

KT

I may be mistaken but I thought a "technical" grade was a technician and, as such could not/did not hold a "command" or "leadership" position. Leadership positions were filled by the non-tech grades such as Corporal, Sergeant, SSgt, etc.

Am I mistaken?

I may be mistaken but I thought a "technical" grade was a technician and, as such could not/did not hold a "command" or "leadership" position. Leadership positions were filled by the non-tech grades such as Corporal, Sergeant, SSgt, etc.

"Technician" and "Technical" were not interchangeable terms during WWII, and the Technicians were considered to be noncoms.

post-8076-1314756817.jpg

"Technician" and "Technical" were not interchangeable terms during WWII, and the Technicians were considered to be noncoms.

post-8076-1314756817.jpg

Thanks for the clarification on this.

KT

From my father's clarification (a WWII TSgt) T3 -T5 were NCO equivilent grades - based on skill or responsibility but with no command authority. A TSgt was also skill based but has the authority of rank - he out-ranks a Staff Sgt and can order lesser ranks. He is not an equivilent rank - it's a real rank.

In the 1920's, the Technician ranks were a single chevron and extra rockers below - sometimes several rockers. This showed the real command rank (Private) but acknowledged the added skill level.

... and to the question "what weapon?", it would depend on his assignment. A T-4 might have a Garand, a Springfield, a Carbine and/or a .45 ... or nothing if he was a medic. (sorry for losing the response to the original question)

craig_pickrall

I realize medics are not supposed to carry weapons but my father was a T5 medic on Okinawa and he carried a carbine and no one complained.