1918 Remington bayonet

M-16

I went to the local antique store today and I found a stand full of swords and bayonets. I bought this 1918 Remington bayonet for 78usd, wich I guess was a good price. There were also 2 more I might go buy another day, one of them dated 1915 for 94usd. What are they really worth? Which date is rarest?

So what do you think ?

post-36224-1314550114.jpg

Good find. The Remington bayonets for the 1917 U.S. Enfield are normally dated 1917. When Remington switched the date to 1918 to match the production year Ordnance informed them to switch it back so your bayonet is somewhat rare. The numbers stamped on the cross-guard are indicative of use by a European militart force post-WWII--likely Denmark. The scabbard is not U.S. You may want to Google "Gary Cunningham Bayonet Points" for much more detailed info & history on this bayonet. HTH

Tim

RustyCanteen

1918 is the best pick.

More than likely the 1915 dated one is a British P-07 bayonet for a Lee-Enfield, so it cannot be used with an M1917 rifle. The muzzle ring on the cross guard sits much lower on them.

RC

RustyCanteen

Also, the 1915 dated one should not have the two vertical grooves in the wood grips, unless switched by someone, they are interchangable but not correct to change.

Your 1917 has the correct type of grips though for that model.

RC

• 2 months later...