82nd Airborne 325th GIR Ike Jacket

55rocker52

Hello Again To All!

I am new to any site like this, so please be patient. I attempted to attach a few photos with a camera that isn't too great, and it only allowed me one attachment. I have no idea how to make it smaller, if that is the problem, so please don't explain to me how to do it, I will have to attach one at a time. I don't have much patience with these new fandangled contraptions! Please let me know what you think. Also does anyone know which book is the best on the 325th?

Thanks,

KT from NJ

post-54415-1314546629.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't add another close-up of his bars and Glider badge. But the one thing that I think that I have to clear up is, when did the 325th get their Ike jackets? Some say they were the first in the 82nd some time after D-Day? Who knows the story? From his glider badge, it would make sense that they got theirs a little after D-Day when they, I think returned to their British base of operations until they go their next assignment. Lets hear from you experts. Also, did the 325th get all three braids? or not?

Thanks,

KT

Unfortunately, I couldn't add another close-up of his bars and Glider badge. But the one thing that I think that I have to clear up is, when did the 325th get their Ike jackets? Some say they were the first in the 82nd some time after D-Day? Who knows the story? From his glider badge, it would make sense that they got theirs a little after D-Day when they, I think returned to their British base of operations until they go their next assignment. Lets hear from you experts. Also, did the 325th get all three braids? or not?

Thanks,

KT

I forgot to mention if you can't make it out, he has one arrowhead device and three battle stars on his European Theatre bar. Also a Pacific Theatre bar? Was the 325th ever in the Pacific Theatre? Or was the 17th at one point there?

Thanks Again,

KT

I forgot to mention if you can't make it out, he has one arrowhead device and three battle stars on his European Theatre bar. Also a Pacific Theatre bar? Was the 325th ever in the Pacific Theatre? Or was the 17th at one point there?

Thanks Again,

KT

Similar in color to the Asiatic Pacific ribbon, but that's the American Defense ribbon. Given the 3 year hashmark, it totally makes sense to be on this jacket.

Great looking Ike jacket!

Kurt

Similar in color to the Asiatic Pacific ribbon, but that's the American Defense ribbon. Given the 3 year hashmark, it totally makes sense to be on this jacket.

Great looking Ike jacket!

Kurt

Yes Kurt,

Your totally correct. My error, I am no expert, I am learning every day!

Thanks,

KT

Great Jacket !! The 17th Airborne patch is correct as a lot of the guys going home from the 325th were transfered to the 17th. I have a dog sweater made by a medic in the 325th with both the 82nd and 17th patch sewn on it...As far as the best book..."Lets Go" by Wayne Pierce is the best first hand account of the 325th. Wayne was the 325th historian for the longest time...Went to several 325th reunions before the the last reunion last year in Indy...What a great bunch of guys !!

Actually many of the 17th were transferred into the 82nd at the end of the war.Many seeing service with the 325 GIR or the 508th PIR.

Having the 17th on the right shoulder denotes combat service with the 17th.Arrow head is more likely for the Varscity drop unless there is some other records showing prior service with the 82nd.Your man most likely saw action in the Buldge then Varscity(193rd or 194th Glider Inf.)Then to the 325.I have a similiar collection to a 17th man who also ended up in the 325.He was both parachute and glider trained.He also has the orange cord for Holland and I can olny assume he wore it when assigned to the 325 as he wasnt on the Marget Garden drop.

Hello Kurt,

First, allow me to welcome you to the Forum. The guys are great, and the knowledge overwhelming. Secondly, congratulations on a very fine 325 jacket. I have a special place in my heart for the 325 as that was my parent unit when I was first commissioned. Looking forward to seeing more of your collection. Jack Angolia

Great Jacket !! The 17th Airborne patch is correct as a lot of the guys going home from the 325th were transfered to the 17th. I have a dog sweater made by a medic in the 325th with both the 82nd and 17th patch sewn on it...As far as the best book..."Lets Go" by Wayne Pierce is the best first hand account of the 325th. Wayne was the 325th historian for the longest time...Went to several 325th reunions before the the last reunion last year in Indy...What a great bunch of guys !!

So to your knowledge, as a member of the 325th first, his patch would have been sewn on his left sleeve, and then when transferred into the 17th at the end of the war sewn onto the right shoulder? Someone has stated that he could have belonged to the 17th first, possibly attached to either the 193rd or 194th GIR and then transferred to the 325th? What would the correct order be? I guess I have to send away for his records. But not being his next of kin, how do I get around that paperwork to obtain his military records?

Thanks,

KT

To me there is no evidence he belonged to the 82nd/325th "first".His first unit being the 17th Airborne as shown by the right sleeve patch.He would have moved the 17th patch over from the left shoulder after being assigned to the 82nd "after"serving in the 17th.Wearing the patch on the left shoulder is his current unit and the one he was assigned to at the end of the war or the one he came home with.If you have his name there maybe someone here on the forum who can find it in a war time roster.Short of recieving his records I see no earlier service with the 325.

RD

To me there is no evidence he belonged to the 82nd/325th "first".His first unit being the 17th Airborne as shown by the right sleeve patch.He would have moved the 17th patch over from the left shoulder after being assigned to the 82nd "after"serving in the 17th.Wearing the patch on the left shoulder is his current unit and the one he was assigned to at the end of the war or the one he came home with.If you have his name there maybe someone here on the forum who can find it in a war time roster.Short of recieving his records I see no earlier service with the 325.

RD

Ron is right here. Your man most likely was with the 17th A/B at the Battle of the Bulge and then with them at Operation Varsity. This is supported by his "Combat Leadership Stripes" (and there is another theory on those but that is for a different day). He most likey was a "mid point" man with his State side service, lack of valor awards and the fact he has combat service he was transferred to the 82nd to be shipped home. The 82nd was selected for the Victory parade in NYC when the war ended, hence what you see here. There were a number of 101st men (mostly Bastogne post Bastogne low pointers) who were sent to the 82nd only to have the war end and be part of the "big parade".

Hope this helps.

Jake Powers

RD

Ok RD,

His name is Roderick D. Kurtz grade t/4 tech-sgt.

Great Ike jacket! Gotta get a 17th AB Ike for the collection! How did you get this btw? -Ben

I acquired it recently from a dealer who got right from the family.

Thanks, KT

I acquired it recently from a dealer who got right from the family.

Thanks, KT

Does Anyone actually read these replies? While very nice and "probably" unadulterated, this jacket is what it is. A replacement man who was with the 17th, transferred to the 82nd and was shipped home. A nice Ike. Period.

With your 15th post you may want to listen a bit to folks who have gotten these type items, right from the Veteran, not the Dealer who got them from the "family".

Hope this helps.

Kurtz is listed as a being a member of the 194th GIR in "Thunder".

Thank you very much for the information, now I have a little more to go on.

KT

Kurtz is listed as a being a member of the 194th GIR in "Thunder".

Thank you very much for the info, now I have a little more to go on.

KT