WWII British Snow Smock

OD MAN

This is an original 1942 (also has a '72 reissue stamp) British heavy snow smock as issued by the thousands to US troops in the winter during the Battle of the Bulge. This smock is a VERY large size with a 57" waist! The smock is made of a very heavy white material and has typical wear/smudges for its age. It is in great condition and has all of its original Bakelite buttons.

2z6ighz.jpg

jszjlw.jpg

2hxbvk0.jpg

Examples of use during WWII by American forces:

rc3k2a.jpg

11s37dh.jpg

21l93i8.jpg

Constabulary

nice one - I have not seen many of them yet.

Do you need the matching british snow camo pants? I have a pair in a nice big size.

if you are interested send me an PM ;)

nice one - I have not seen many of them yet.

Do you need the matching british snow camo pants? I have a pair in a nice big size.

if you are interested send me an PM ;)

Yes I am, I sent you a message. :thumbsup:

The second GI from the right wears this camo suit The rest wear custom made snow camo.

zxlati.jpg

Full suits being worn...

w1934p.jpg

GI with full suit (on right of tank destroyer)

168sg47.jpg

Justin

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought i would bump this cool topic up to the top as i have a few questions....i have a chance to buy a few sets of these British made and US used snow camo uniforms/over clothes...my questions are...are they being reproduced?...the sets in question look original with tags but have AGM stamped in collar?....also what would the average selling price be?...i might keep one set for myself and sell the others if legit....no pics but they look just like the ones pictured here in the thread and in this book on page 49.....thanks fellers for any help and info!....mike

post-350-0-33636200-1355616900.jpg

post-350-0-83025800-1355616936.jpg

Thanks...I was afraid they are being reproduced.....the suits i saw are at a local army/navy store that has alot of good original stuff but also some comercial junk too.....im gonna go back and really look at them and compare the tags to the ones in the book and take a few pics while im there.....mike

Apart from the presence of a label, the very large size is a good sign of originality. They were cut extra large for wearing over other uniforms and equipment. The repros I've seen for sale over here are in more "human sizes"...also a slightly lighter weight of cotton fabric. (currently ON SALE!)

http://www.sofmilita...k-product,11126

Thanks guys,and thanks to Johan too for the label details.... i wish the repros in that link showed what their labels looked like to compare....im gonna try to get down to the store today to take some label pics and overall pics....i hope they turn out to be original!...will report back here in a few hours!.....thanks again....mike

Sorry guys, it was a false alarm!....they appear to be Swiss snow camo smocks and pants...i could swear i saw a broad arrow mark on one of the labels last time i was there, unless they had a few British sets and someone has already bought them....these Swiss sets are very nice and very close to the British design....one of the differences is no lower front pockets and light colored buttons....heres a pic and i have a few pics of the stampings but dont want to muddy up this thread but it might be a good comparison for the future (mods please remove if need be)....also let me know if anyone would be interested in a set, there are 3 good old used sets and one newer unused set with more recent label, the used ones seem to be from the 1940s....thanks for all the help....mike

post-350-0-74912100-1355687196_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just wanted confirmation on some research I am doing. It is clear that the US used stocks of British Snow Camouflage Smocks and Trousers during the Ardennes Campaign. I just wanted to confirm that both types were worn. This thread delves heavily in the 4 pocket smock, but does not address the earlier type of British snow camouflage over garment. I've added a photo of two members of the 17th Airborne Division, Recon Platoon wearing what I am almost certain are British early type snow camouflage uniforms. I've added photos of the smock and tag from my collection. Just wanted your thoughts.

oz

reconcamo.jpg

snowcamo1.JPG

snowcamo2.JPG

Johan Willaert

I think it might be possible...

However you cannot see details on the GI wearing the white trousers on the right... Maybe he's wearing US made Trousers, Ski, White ???

Not sure if the QM Dept shipped some over to Europe though...

For reference here's a mannequin from my collection with the US made light trousers... As you can see it would be difficult to determine whether they're Brit or US on a picture. The heavy weight Brit trousers do have that telltale thigh pocket...

post-92-0-23853800-1388139302.jpg

Johan,

Thanks for the comments. Everything that I have read indicates that the US made suits did not make it into the ETO. I am still looking for a confirmation either way though. I like your photo, and do think it helps. I think you are right about the heavy weight suits, I am very confident the ones in the 17th photo are not the heavy weight version. I wish I had a better copy of the photo. That one comes from the 17th Magazine "With the Talon in the Ardennes". I scanned in high res, but the original image is not good.

oz

• 2 years later...

I might pick up one of these, but cannot find any reference prices on the web... any idea what a good condition smock + trousers will go for ? (no labels any longer, but marked with arrow and WW2 date)...

thanks

JS1