Need ID of patch

All,

picked this up awhile back at a small militaria show. Wondering if anyone can ID? It is rather large at 6" in diameter and appears to made in typical fashion of the 1950's/60's.

thanks,

Dave

post-341-1314471260.jpg

Hey Dave

Did you post this patch a while back? If not, I am almost sure that this patch was discussed here at some point. Just don't remember when!

Steve

Johnny Signor

Could be a "possible" Air Refueling Squadron" the device the cat has strikes me as a "Boom" and the mouse "Jet" has his tounge out as if "Thirsty" for a Fillup.

Johnny

Johnny,

thanks for the input. For some reason I was thinking it might be Navy, never thought about USAF air refueling.

I thought the cat was just finishing making a swat at the flying mouse/aircraft, but maybe I need to think further out of the box.

Dave

Johnny Signor

Well don't give up on it being a Navy patch either , they Marines had Refueling Units too ,it could be one of thier types of refueling squadron designs too ! I think the designation for the USMC refuelers is "VMR" .

Johnny

Johnny,

thanks for the input. For some reason I was thinking it might be Navy, never thought about USAF air refueling.

I thought the cat was just finishing making a swat at the flying mouse/aircraft, but maybe I need to think further out of the box.

Dave

Dave, I'm with your first thought on this. To me it looks like the cat has just smacked the "mouse" with a stylized Machine Gun held backwards. I'm not sure of the meaning of the yellow flight cap on top of the cat... Navy or USAF?

Dave, I'm with your first thought on this. To me it looks like the cat has just smacked the "mouse" with a stylized Machine Gun held backwards. I'm not sure of the meaning of the yellow flight cap on top of the cat... Navy or USAF?

Navy swatting an Air Force Jet? The "N" on the swatter....

-Ski

Awesome patch! Johhny may be on to something, but As long as we're taking guesses, I think it's more of a fighter squadron type patch. I see it as more of a baseball theme with the bat being a machine gun held by it's barrel. There is a smaller section of what appears to be a barrel at the end of the cooling jacket on the gun if it is a gun that is. Also appears to have a ball cap on his head which makes me think he's batting at the mouse. The cat appears to have broken his engine or something from being hit also. The cat and mouse theme is used on several popular designs used by Navy squadrons so I wouldn't rule out the USN. It's a great unknown design to research anyway. Sometimes it takes decades to id a patch like this. Can we see a photo of the back of the patch? Jeffro

Patchcollector

Alright,here's my take.I agree about the "bat" being a machine gun,and I think that mouse has a target he's towing(?)

Maybe this is a gunnery target practice unit!

Not sure which has a machine gun with a curved barrel Nave or AF? Looks more like the nozzle of gas pump hose or is the cat trying to comit suicide?

Patchcollector
Not sure which has a machine gun with a curved barrel Nave or AF? Looks more like the nozzle of gas pump hose or is the cat trying to comit suicide?

You mean that guns don't bend in fantasyland?Gosh,I guess mice don't have wings and fly either :P:rolleyes:

Curved gas pump nozzles are used for automobiles. I guess I was thinking about the ferocity of the US soldier that never quits fighting and even when out of ammo may use his gun as a club. I'd expect him to swing it hard enough to bend it. :rolleyes:

I think it has somthing do with electronic warfare. looks like the cat is licking his chops and trying to lure the mouse in.

Andy

• 4 months later...
Johnny Signor

Another thought , how about the B-36/Fighter carrier set up they had back in the late 50's or early 60's ? the B-36 had wing tip hook up points that could carry a F-84 and release in flight and if memory serves me also re-connect back up , the "mouse " seems to have some sort of "gizmo" on his back that appears to be more that just wings , there was a version that also was carried in the bomb bay area , it could allude to this ................................

Just another shot at a "possible" lead .

Johnny

Another thought , how about the B-36/Fighter carrier set up they had back in the late 50's or early 60's ? the B-36 had wing tip hook up points that could carry a F-84 and release in flight and if memory serves me also re-connect back up , the "mouse " seems to have some sort of "gizmo" on his back that appears to be more that just wings , there was a version that also was carried in the bomb bay area , it could allude to this ................................

Just another shot at a "possible" lead .

Johnny

Johnny,

thanks for the additional possibilities to research. I'm still striking out. I'll probably bring it along to the SOS in Louisville later this month and see if anyone at the show can ID.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Have you tried posting this emblem in the 'Can You ID?'

section of the ASMIC Trading Post?

Bob

Bob,

good idea. Can I do that as a non-member of ASMIC?? Maybe I ought to join anyway, I was a member briefly years ago but let the membership lapse.

thanks,

Dave

Bob,

good idea. Can I do that as a non-member of ASMIC?? Maybe I ought to join anyway, I was a member briefly years ago but let the membership lapse.

thanks,

Dave

I really couldn't tell you the answer to that Dave, but I've found that the 'Can You ID' feature

in the Trading Post alone has proved, for me anyway, well worth the ASMIC membership fee.

It's been an invaluable tool in my research.

I love this patch and just hope you can end up establishing its origin.

Good luck.

Bob

Bob,

thanks,

Dave

I really couldn't tell you the answer to that Dave, but I've found that the 'Can You ID' feature

in the Trading Post alone has proved, for me anyway, well worth the ASMIC membership fee.

It's been an invaluable tool in my research.

I love this patch and just hope you can end up establishing its origin.

Good luck.

Bob

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

All,

picked this up awhile back at a small militaria show. Wondering if anyone can ID? It is rather large at 6" in diameter and appears to made in typical fashion of the 1950's/60's.

thanks,

Dave

This patch is the 1950's era one for the Navy Reserve Fighter Squadron-734 (VF-734) , positive ID via computer disc I was sent from Historian out of Tailhook Association.

Johnny