Korean War era pistol belt rig.

Sabrejet

Further to my previous threads illustrating typical WW2 and VN War pistol belt rigs, this hypothetical Korean War rig completes the trilogy.

US Army /Marine Corps gear during the Korean War was largely made up of WW2 vintage items, mostly in the late war OD 7 shade, supplemented with some "newer" items such as the M1944 pack system and larger capacity ammo pouches to accommodate the 30 round magazines for the widely issued M2 carbine.

The rig below would be typical for a GI armed with an M2. Virtually all of the items illustrated are '45 or '50 dated. At its heart is an OD 7 M1936 pistol belt. Taken L to R the items are as follows.

M-1923 .45 pistol mag pouch; M-4 bayonet for the M1/2 carbine in its M8-A1 scabbard. The M4 was essentially a modified M3 fighting knife; M-1910 canteen cover; M-1916 holster; J.Q.M.D. M-1950 mag. pouch for the M2 Carbine w / M-1942 pattern first-aid pouch containing a Carlisle dressing.

post-8022-1314453352.jpg

What do you have filling the holster? Is it a real .45 or a model. You also must be back from your trip to the U.S. I hope you and your wife had a great time.

craig_pickrall

Hello Ian, I have enjoyed all three of your belt layouts. This one has created a question however.

It is hard to find photos of the 30 RD Mag Pouches in use, Of the few I have seen I can not recall ever seeing one with the attachment gromments in use. Did you find a pic to support the attachment of the FA pouch as you show it? It was common to see these attached below the jungle FA kits but that is all I can recall seeing.

What do you have filling the holster? Is it a real .45 or a model. You also must be back from your trip to the U.S. I hope you and your wife had a great time.

A model? No...a deactivated example...and yes, we had a great time thank you! :thumbsup:

Hello Ian, I have enjoyed all three of your belt layouts. This one has created a question however.

It is hard to find photos of the 30 RD Mag Pouches in use, Of the few I have seen I can not recall ever seeing one with the attachment gromments in use. Did you find a pic to support the attachment of the FA pouch as you show it? It was common to see these attached below the jungle FA kits but that is all I can recall seeing.

Hello Craig....thank you. Well, the belt would've been overcrowded with everything in place...unless I let it out another 6 inches or so... so it made good sense to suspend the FA pouch from the grommets as I presume that's what they were intended for? I didn't look for any pics to verify it. Surely some GIs must've done this at sometime?! I'm a firm believer in the never say never principle when it comes to militaria matters

Ian :thumbsup:

Why is the canteen in the back? I would think is would be better on the side. But I've never served, so it may be a regulation thing.

Any real answer, or just preference ? :think:

Thanks Ian

I have a few holsters I need to fill and am looking for a cheep way to do it.

Bob

There are some good metal / plastic replicas out there which would make good holster fillers. I have a pair of fully functional metal ones (don't shoot!) which are virtually impossible to tell from the real McCoy without close inspection. The plastic airsoft types look ok but obviously lack the scale weight of the metal replicas.

Ian

Why is the canteen in the back? I would think is would be better on the side. But I've never served, so it may be a regulation thing.

Any real answer, or just preference ? :think:

I'm being subjected to the third degree here today!! :w00t: I spaced the items on the belt in order to better display them JS. If I was actually wearing the belt then I might have distributed the items differently.

Ian ;)

I'm being subjected to the third degree here today!! :w00t:

Ian ;)

Sure you're tense and irritable :disgust: , but don't take it out on him :o !! Instead, take two Aleve to reduce those monthly symptoms...... :hug:

Sure you're tense and irritable :disgust: , but don't take it out on him :o !! Instead, take two Aleve to reduce those monthly symptoms...... :hug:

You say the sweetest things JS! (sounds of plates hittin' the wall!) :devil:

Ian ;)