Garrison / Overseas Cap

Johan Willaert

I've seen some nice caps. I own this cap, but what does the piping mean? I couldn't find it on the website, I hope somebody knows the answer.

hpim5565iu5.th.jpg

I don't know much about uniforms but am trying to learn. My Dad saved a number of these and here are a couple. I have about a dozen or so that I can recognize as different that came from him and some of the local vets when I was a kid. Nobody wanted the caps just the Lugers.

He was a sargent and I know these are the officers caps. The glider/artillery has his S/N stamped in it just like the uniforms and ties. He said they just went to supply and took what they needed. He did not know the difference. I think the trim on the glider/art cap is medical and he did train as a medic before going overseas. The red plexiglass grips on his M1911A1 were made to match the red in the artillery uniform.

If I photograph the other garrison caps can some of you tell me what they are? Most of his stuff is as you guys say "salty". Moths really like the parachute patches unfortunatly.

453506.JPG

I have several ID'd Airborne Overseas caps (with Veteran provenance & chain of custody) but these are my absolute two favorite EM versions. These belonged to William "Wild Bill" Guarnere of E/506th. He gave these to me about 15 years ago long before the Band of Brothers was a National Phenomenon. Of special note is the hat on the bottom has been permanently pressed with "dimples" to give the hat a more pointed appearance when worn. Both hats are made of officer's quality materials. This seems to be a common practice to early members of the 506th Toccoa men.

post-261-1170101584.jpg

post-261-1170101605.jpg

post-261-1170101619.jpg

Here is a picture from one of my garrison caps. The cap is from a member of the 501st. I posted his jacket on another topic. On the cap is a rare plastic 501 D.I.

post-516-1170331974.jpg

CNY Militaria

Here are 4 caps I just picked up at what I consider to be fair prices!

-AAF cap with 2nd AAF patch cut and applied- Named on inside

-Navy V-5 Cap, named on inside (I have heard that these are hard to come by?)

-AAF Cadet's cap with patch cut out and applied

-JNAC (Junior Naval Air Cadets) cap with direct ebroidered insignia. Anyone know what JNAC does?

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

cap.jpg

cap1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...