Bunk Bed Frame

blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown

I got a call today, someone was moving and new I collected WW2 items and they gave me this bunk. It is an unusual color of green but looks original. I also a year ago picked up a head and foot board but no springs. I have thought about doing a barracks display for some time. Maybe thios will be the start. I assume they should be painted an OD green? I searched the form for past posts on bunks but have not seen a spring set like this.

Dan H

post-2370-1314416490.jpg

Though my memory of this is honestly very vague, I seem to recall a friend's father's cabin had bunks that looked just like that, U.S. marked as that one is, and he said they came from a prison. This would have been in the early 80s, and the beds looked well worn, but the cabin was about 10 years old at the time. So the era could indeed have been WWII, for the beds that I saw.

I saw a bunk at the Iola outdoor show this year.I was tempted to buy it but didnt have the room to haul it home.There was no painted finnish on this bunk.Just shellac/varnish and it hadnt been refinnished or sanded.Had the US markings and a date of 1942.

RustyCanteen

Many of the bunks were either unfinished or varnish/shellaced like Ron said, sometimes it was the end-user who painted them.

Could have been used by CCC or Forest Service, they sometimes painted their bunks/beds.

Or it could have just been a civvy, but I can't see why they would choose such an unusual color.

RC

We had bunk beds like that at summer camp growing up. One of the head guys was a retired army 1Sgt. They ended up painted various colors but they had come from surplus, along w/our delightful steel dining trays and some other cots used. Also, when i worked in the jail we had a bunch of surplus stuff, especially cots and bunks for contingency housing. It is available to LE/Govt agencies free or cheap through DRMO or State Surplus if its Nat'l Guard stuff.

I have a set of these I picked up 20 yrs ago at an upstate NY Boy Scout Camp. Unpainted. A darkened varnish finish over the wood. No paint. Same type of wire / spring set up. This one has been cut down. Should have a tongue and groove type mechanism for stacking into a bunk bed. Mine are labeled and made by / were sold by Macy's or Gimbel's ( I forget which) NY.

Regards,

Steve T