WWI Bronze Naval Aviator's Wings marked BB&B Harold Child "Pat" Hammond

Jack's Son

This is a list of the names and numbers I have so far. Cliff was kind enough to give me these names, and other help.

Naval Aviator Number/ Name

2510 Philip David Fancher

2787 Paul Foxworthy

2388 Paul J. Frizzell

751 Paul Erhard Froass

250 Philip Bernard Frothingham

131 Percival Strong Fuller

Naval Aviator Number/ Name

2534 Paul C. Albritton

721 Philip Allen, Jr.

1234 Paul Arthur Androus

2618 Paul L. Armstrong

2805 Prentice D. Ash

641 Perry D. Astry

I would like to thank everyone who helped out on this thread. Although I still have not found the answer, I will continue to look and ask for help. Perhaps someone will help find the origonal owner! :thumbsup:

I would say that is the day he earned those wings.. 1/2/23.

I got to see these wings in person today and I agree with your theory Mike. And I'd say his initials were PH and it was dated Feb. 1923.

I got to see these wings in person today and I agree with your theory Mike. And I'd say his initials were PH and it was dated Feb. 1923.

To avoid the possibility of any repetition, please note that last weekend we checked the Appendix of Naval Aviator Numbers found on page 171 of the Willis & Carmichael book United States Navy Wings of Gold... and were not able to find a match for an aviatior with initials PH who graduated from flight school in 1923.

Cliff

Honestly, it looks more like a "33" to me than a "23". You can see how the top of the "2" is poorly curved in the middle number, and how the "3" of the last number is almost straight. Look at the second to last number, and you'll see the same straight lines, with the bottom "slash" being the last line of the "3".

Dave

teufelhunde.ret

After looking very closely at this once again, I think the scratch has obsecured a number "7" - not a "1" which would maker this #788. Have drawn a line grey line thru the scratch in this pic...

scr.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Here is the same pic (copy) with grey line pulled thru the "7". The sratch is atop the seven. Have some zerox pages of Contact and 788 is not "P.H."

7.jpg

I think these are a wonderful pair of wings, but unfortunately what is engraved on them will always be open to speculation and no definitive, concrete, absolute, attribution I feel can ever be made. That being said, I would gladly have a pair like these in my collection.

Kurt

I think these are a wonderful pair of wings, but unfortunately what is engraved on them will always be open to speculation and no definitive, concrete, absolute, attribution I feel can ever be made. That being said, I would gladly have a pair like these in my collection.

Kurt

May I second that?

:thumbsup:

OH, my friend.......there is some logic in your guesses.

Unfortunitly, this wing is from WWI !!

A naval aviator trained in the 20s could have still flown in WW2, and likely would have kept his first set of wings. I was doing some reading lately and was amazed at the age of some aviators in WW2.

I am very happy to have come by these wings, and they are definitely a fine addition to my WWI wings.

Kurt has said it last, and probably best....."unfortunately what is engraved on them will always be open to speculation and no definitive, concrete, absolute, attribution I feel can ever be made. That being said, I would gladly have a pair like these in my collection".

More then having the wings, is the appreciation for the GREAT SUPPORT and HELP all of you have offered in trying to solve the unsolvable.

My deep thanks to all !

R

• 3 weeks later...

New Information......

I got a lead from the shop owner in Nebraska, and with the help of Cliff P. we found the wing owner!

"I finally got a follow-up response to my inquiry on the "B.B. & B" wing ~ states it came from the estate of H.C. Hammond from Grinnell, Iowa."

Cliff's reply......

Harold Child Hammond,

Naval Aviator #1694

Navy Serial 47218

post-8213-1316667802.jpg

Just read this thread for the first time....fascinating!! A mystery inside an enigma. You guys have impressed me with your thinking "outside the box" in order to ID the original recipient of this wing. JS have you ever considered a career with the FBI? Keep us up to speed.

Ian :thumbsup:

.......... Great team work all - keep it up!

Cheers

John

John,

I'm working on getting some sort of paperwork from the shopkeeper to authenticate the wing.