Leather Cartridge Pouch: R.I.A. 1906?

solcarlus

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the National Archives in Washington. I found some documents that answer the questions about this pouch. In the spring of 1906 the war department wanted to give the Merriam pack another try. They had Rock Island make up enough cartridge boxes, leather belts and Merriam packs to equip 18 companies of infantry from various regular Army regiments. The packs were to be tested along side the blanket / tent roll for a comparison of the advatages and disadvantages of each. The tests took place during the summer and fall manouvers in 1906. There is a consolidated report of comments from the officers of the companies who trialed the packs. There were a few people who liked the Merriam pack, but most hated it and in the words of one officer it was "a man killer".

For those of us who have done American Civil War living history and had a chance to wear a blanket roll for an extended period on a march, I can understand the Army's attempt to try and find an alternative to the Blanket roll. Its hot and it constricts your breathing. Not that the Merriam pack dosn't have many drawbacks of its own.

Jon P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a little wrap up on this item. Through the kind help of a Forum member, I was able to purchase this pouch. On examination, I did confirm my earlier opinions on this pouch. It is for 40 rounds of .30 on clips. I also was able to formulate an opinion as to how it got to France. It is stamped "Western" on the bottom. This most likely stands for Western Costume. I'm sure it was sold off by Western some years ago and since it didn't look like anything the US Army used, it must be French. To the casual eye that is what it would appear to be. Someone in Europe probably bought it, thinking the same thing. It is now happily home. Now all I need is a second one to complete the set.