American Air Museum, Duxford, England.

Sabrejet

A variety of sources...public/private subscription...admission fees...Lottery Fund...UK Govt etc. The restoration work is privately funded, the principal company involved being "The Fighter Collection"...rich man's toys!

http://www.fighter-collection.com/

Another unique project...the Bristol Beaufighter.

This Beaufighter is great! Art Tiemann in my church flew these during the Battle of Britain.

He told my Dad some great stories about flying for the RAF!

Thanks for showing these! :thumbsup:

....Kat

Re # 39 & 40:

Aha! Tried to slip one by, eh? It is a HELLcat, not a WILDcat. F6F, not F4F.

Tsk

Well done John! You're the only one to spot my deliberate error! Give that man a cigar!! :thumbsup:

The Beaufighter. A major restoration project, still a couple of years away from taking to the air again, but when it does it will be a unique example of this famous type.

post-8022-1341308586.jpg

BTW I have long admired the Beaufighter, especially because it was an ad hoc hodgepodge THAT WORKED.

It was (relatively) hurried through the design and test phases, as it was created using parts of the existing and in-production Bristol Beaufort BOMBER! Leave the rear half pretty much the same, but find some really big engines and nice guns, lighten, strengthen and re-stress everywhere....and voila!

A tribute to British creativity, and grace under pressure.

Lest forget: It was also one of the REVERSE Lend-Lease types, flown by the USAAF as a night fighter.

The Beaufighter. A major restoration project, still a couple of years away from taking to the air again, but when it does it will be a unique example of this famous type.

post-8022-1341308586.jpg

Man, you talk about a long-term restoration project! With the exception of the mated components, the plane looks not much different from when I last saw it in 2001. When I first laid eyes on the aircraft in 1994, it was nothing but a jumble of unrestored parts.....

-Ski

• 4 weeks later...