American Air Museum, Duxford, England.

Sabrejet

This superb museum is a must-see for any aviation enthusiast both in the UK or visiting from overseas. It houses the finest collection of US aircraft outside of the United States. RAF Duxford is an historic airfield in that it is the spiritual home of the Spitfire and, between '43-'44 became the home of the USAAF's 78th FG with their familiar checkerboard cowlings.

Duxford is an active airfield. There are many flying events throughout the year, the biggest being "Flying Legends" warbird-fest. Also, it's the home of The Fighter Collection. Their hangars are always a hive of industry with some of the world's rarest warbirds constantly undergoing restoration and maintenance. Several other hangars serve as museums. There's also the new "AirSpace" hangar whose exhibits tell the story of British and Commonwealth aviation, with over 30 military and civil aircraft and an interactive Exhibitions Gallery.

Finally, "tread-heads" are catered for to via the "Land Warfare" hall, which houses Duxford's fine collection of tanks, military vehicles and artillery. So, there's something for everyone. Click on the link below for all the info you need to navigate the museum's website.

http://aam.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00h

post-8022-1314267707.jpg

:thumbsup: Duxford is outstanding. I also like it as it is home to the Museums of the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Anglian Regiment - i have served in both :thumbsup:

The B17 inside the museum is the supposed to be the most complete and best restored example anywhere in the world.

Rich

:thumbsup: Duxford is outstanding. I also like it as it is home to the Museums of the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Anglian Regiment - i have served in both :thumbsup:

The B17 inside the museum is the supposed to be the most complete and best restored example anywhere in the world.

Rich

That'll be "Mary Alice" which is currently undergoing a major refurbishment. Then of course there's "Sally B", Europe's only airworthy B-17.

post-8022-1314274913.jpg

An amazing place to visit. If anyone from outside the UK is over here, it is well worth the trip. Or if you are a Brit and its one of those places "you always meant to go to!!" you should do it.

Several airshows a year, FLYING LEGENDS is the best one IMO. AND how they managed to get a B52, B29, B24, B17, F4 Phantom, SR71, P47, Bell UH-1 and part of the Iraqi Supergun on the ground inside plus the ceiling hangers is nothing short of miraculous!!

An amazing place to visit. If anyone from outside the UK is over here, it is well worth the trip. Or if you are a Brit and its one of those places "you always meant to go to!!" you should do it.

Several airshows a year, FLYING LEGENDS is the best one IMO. AND how they managed to get a B52, B29, B24, B17, F4 Phantom, SR71, P47, Bell UH-1 and part of the Iraqi Supergun on the ground inside plus the ceiling hangers is nothing short of miraculous!!

How right you are Rob! I have a book on the actual building of the museum. Placing and suspending those planes within it was one massive mathematical jigsaw...but it worked brilliantly. Another triumph of British engineering!

Ian :thumbsup:

I used to visit the museum constantly in the 1990's, both before the new building was built and afterwards. I personally hate it. The building was extremely expensive to build and immediately, the planes were already crammed in there. The museum would have been FAR better served building replica hangers that matched the other pre-war ones at a fraction of the cost with FAR more floor space. I personally hate hanging aircraft and I was dismayed at not being able to get a decent photo of any of the aircraft in the building. I know there were a ton of British folks mad as well about it. Style over function is never a good thing when it comes to displaying historical items.

-Ski

"I personally hate hanging aircraft..."

Aircraft are designed to fly Eric. Think back to when you were a kid...I'll bet you hung your model planes from your bedroom ceiling...like we all did?! Why? Because they look better in their intended element...airborne! Anyway, by suspending a relatively small number of airframes, more floorspace was made available...therefore more static exhibits.

Ian ;)

hbtcoveralls

I was there in '91. I agree that it could be larger and better displayed. The most interesting thing I think I saw there was along the walk into the front doors. There are glass panels with the frosted images representing each lost aircraft from WWII by type (correct me if I'm wrong here). The panels go on and on with so many lost aircraft, that it really puts into perspective the losses suffered in WWII.

Tom Bowers

I used to visit the museum constantly in the 1990's, both before the new building was built and afterwards. I personally hate it. The building was extremely expensive to build and immediately, the planes were already crammed in there. The museum would have been FAR better served building replica hangers that matched the other pre-war ones at a fraction of the cost with FAR more floor space. I personally hate hanging aircraft and I was dismayed at not being able to get a decent photo of any of the aircraft in the building. I know there were a ton of British folks mad as well about it. Style over function is never a good thing when it comes to displaying historical items.

-Ski

Granted, it doesn't leave a lot of scope for expansion!

I was there in '91. I agree that it could be larger and better displayed. The most interesting thing I think I saw there was along the walk into the front doors. There are glass panels with the frosted images representing each lost aircraft from WWII by type (correct me if I'm wrong here). The panels go on and on with so many lost aircraft, that it really puts into perspective the losses suffered in WWII.

Tom Bowers

This is what you're referring to Tom...Counting the Cost...effectively a long line of engraved glass panels. Each plane depicted thereon represents a loss. Quite sobering really.

http://aam.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.1755

Ian

Granted, it doesn't leave a lot of scope for expansion!

Yes Rob...space is at a premium, but where else are you going to see a B-17, B-24, B-29, B-52 and SR-71 Blackbird all within feet of each other?! Awesome! :w00t:

Sounds as if there is A LOT MORE to the museum then we are seeing in the pictures! :think:

There sure is JS. Mark it on your bucket list! ;)

I was there in 1998 and thought it was a great museum. If I ever make it back to that area, I'll be sure to go back for another trip!

Dave

I visited there about 1996 or 1997, before the expansion. The displays were great but by far the most lasting memory was a Spitfire practicing touch and go landings on a grass strip. That's a sight you'll never forget.

I visited there about 1996 or 1997, before the expansion. The displays were great but by far the most lasting memory was a Spitfire practicing touch and go landings on a grass strip. That's a sight you'll never forget.

Spits are a familiar sight in the skies above Duxford due to it being The Fighter Collection's home base. Their restoration workshops are located there so vintage warbirds are constantly taking to the skies for test flights.

• 6 months later...

I loved this place! Spits may be common at Duxford, but not around where I live. I was also lucky enough to see a spitfire do some touch-and-goes and high speed low-level passes...it was AWESOME!

I would also second the comments about the great armor collection there too. All in all a great museum.

-Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Rich

Yes it is the Best Example in the world. Without sounding too patriotic, the United Kingdom does the best aircraft restoration in the world.

Yes it is the Best Example in the world. Without sounding too patriotic, the United Kingdom does the best aircraft restoration in the world.

Living almost on the doorstep of Duxford it has always had a great place in my life.

My father was RAF and one of his very aircraft is in there. A Hastings transport aircraft from the Royal Air Force Far East. That one, as well as the B17 Memphis Belle always get me remembering him. He worked on that movie as an advisor, and if you wait for the mirads of scroll to finish at the end of the film sure enough his name is listed - Keith Ansell.

I remember when the last flying Me109 German WW2 aircraft crashed in a field nearby in the 1990s. That was the last time it flew. It was restored due to only gentle damage, but is now just a display piece. Well, when I was thirteen I occupied that aircraft seated on the lap of a pilot as it taxied along the Duxford taxiway. A fabulous memory - that was in 1972 after it was restored by the Cambridge Aircraft Preservation Society.

One of the attractions of visiting Duxford on non-airshow days, is the likelihood of seeing recently restored vintage warbirds undergoing their test-flights or just taxiing. You'll hear a throaty roar and look skyward and maybe see a Spit, or a Hurricane, or a P-51...pure magic! On airshow days you get to walk through the large hangars where there are numerous air-frames at various stages of restoration. The technicians, engineers and sheet-metal workers perform miracles. If spare parts aren't available, they fabricate them using original plans and drawings. Incredibly skilled craftsmen! It must give them a great sense of pride to see the fruits of their labours swoop across the sky on airshow days, such as "Flying Legends"! Check out the short clips below for a taste of what I've described above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&...p;v=zV9gc9h2RIs

• 2 months later...

Some additional pics taken at "Flying Legends 2012" weekend, June 30/July 1. First, B-17 "Mary Alice" now back from her restoration and displayed in maintenance mode.

post-8022-1341214788.jpg