Lets see your 'Nam impressions

Future Radio Tech

Future Radio Tech
Is the PRC a working one?

Yessir :thumbsup:

And as for the rest of ya great impressions! :thumbsup: as usual keep 'em comin! :lol: oh and beezman Im really digging the USMC impressions ;)

Hey ivymp4 do you emember the name of the guy from safeside? I had a flightcommander and a few NCOICs who were from safeside.

I had a feeling you might be A.F. What was your AFSC ? My wife was a crewchief on Herks, I however was in Law Enforcement, 81250 when we met. Yes I was one of those people.

No more Marine grunts?

I have this old display, just picture someone wearing it. ^_^

Hue Marine.

Note, I do have a first patter vest, this 2ed pattern vest is dated 1967.

post-2305-1315104540.jpg

I was in the first class of the split course. After basic they had us wait for about a month at Lackland while they got ready. While there we rebuilt the ranges at Medina and cleaned a lot of weapons for the AZR course. I went through that course myself about three months after I got to my first assignment to S.E.A. and a couple years later for my second tour. Back then I was an 81250.

Being in Law Enforcement didn't prevent you form being pulled onto the flightline sometimes. At Littlerock it worked both ways. L.E. could pull the flightline and sometimes Security would work base patrol and the gates.

Can you say where you are now?

There were two sections of Security. One worked the flightline and the others got missiles. Law Enforcement was strictly the non-flightline areas, and could branch off into customs, corrections, or like everyone else, K-9 if selected during tech school.

AZR was the combat course the cops got when they got an asignment to South East Asia. It was held on the Lackland, its\ annex called Medina, and Camp Bullis. During the weeks of the course you were introduced to all the weapons in the Police inventory from the .38 pistol to the 90mm recoiless, .50 cal. machinegun, 81mm mortor and all the rest. You got familar with our armored vehicles and how to deploy from them. You spend many hours on the weapons range, do exerciese against the opposition force made up of the instructors, most of whom have already been to S.E.A.

• 4 weeks later...

Great pictures from overseas and I only comment because both groups in Poland & France have made real efforts at authenticity. The USAF PJ uniform with the nametape needs to have a set of jump wings included below the flight crew wings and above the name tape. The other, sanitized uniform is also correct though often they had the name tapes. I had one sanitized set for the field and one with name tapes for garrison wear.

The CAR~15 I had was much like shown except it did not have a forward assist or a bayonet lug. The shorter, 1" barrel behind the larger flash supressor meant a bayonet could not be mounted. These were not field mods, they came this way from Colt. True, a regular M~16 could be field modded as a CAR~15 so I guess I'm just quibbling.

Some might say I'm being a little picky but I feel otherwise since these guys have done a really great job with the portrayals. I almost recognize some of the melonheads I used to work with {except we're all over sixty with less sharp features}.

You're right about the bayonet mount on the GAU. I forgot and thought that it had one. Guess I'm slipping a bit.

scan0125-1.jpg

scan0134.jpg

Familiar pix though I didn't actually get over that way until '86 and a lot had changed by then.

The top one was me in 1971/72 U-Tapao, the bottom one was Korat in 1974. I was an 812 and during alerts mostly drove Q.R.T.s, what did you do and where?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AirborneGrunt

This is one of my Nam impressions. It was taken on 4th of July Weekend. We set up a display for the Vietnam Traveling Wall.

OK! File to big, will figure this out and repost. Sorry :(

post-6327-1319856592.jpg

post-6327-1319856742.jpg

AirborneGrunt
This is one of my Nam impressions. It was taken on 4th of July Weekend. We set up a display for the Vietnam Traveling Wall.

OK! File to big, will figure this out and repost. Sorry :(

I edited the old post, and changed the wording, and add pictures, but when I posted it, only the pictures were posted.

The picture in the "slick" was at the "Vietnam War traveling wall" July 4th, 2011. Who could resist climbing on a slick?

(I'm on the far left).

The second picture is at the Olmpic Flight Museum, Tumwater, WA. Fathers day weekend.

• 1 month later...

Here are pics from past PNWHG events. This is a grab bag of photos from different events and locations dating as far back as 2002.

20rz3c.jpg

b4esmp.jpg

5mama.jpg

dzb4nt.jpg

Some more.

The gentlemen on the right was a veteran of the company we portray back in 1970 - 71. He was a close friend of our group and an advisor until his untimely passing last summer.

jq6q9w.jpg

de8wlc.jpg

wmhzb5.jpg

5ocb9v.jpg

slgo54.jpg