Lets see your 'Nam impressions

Future Radio Tech

• 4 weeks later...
rice paddy daddy

You guys put a lot of work into this, for sure. Ya'll made me feel young again.

Beezman, you hit close to home with the mention of 1/11 Infantry in post #21. That was one of the units in the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), as was my unit, the 75th Support Battalion.

asianairborne
15s7nex.jpg

nv1dm8.jpg

15f5fsj.jpg

Is that a chicom rig that I see? I didnt know the US fielded captured ones in the Nam. Good idea though-Once again the GI does it again. An easy solution to a common problem.

Some grunts used ones taken off of dead enemy soldiers. SKS rigs will actually fit 20 round M16 magazines quite well. Didn't happen too much though. It was most common among LRRPs and SEALs from what I understand.

It was pretty common in line units around 1970. There are some very famous photos of 1st 'CAV grunts in Cambodia wearing the SKS rigs. They fit a total of 10 magazines (20 rounders) very snugly, but the toggles can be a pain to undo.

Some pictures from reenacting events took place in Russia last year.

1111ikj.jpg

2222vx.jpg

UH-1 is not real, but this year, it might become true.

Link to album 2011 Nam Alfa

Umm... okay, I get the dramatic effect of the fireball explosion in the background, but if this was this close and for real, everyone should be hunkered down in the dirt.

Nice effect with the Huey's though...

Umm... okay, I get the dramatic effect of the fireball explosion in the background, but if this was this close and for real, everyone should be hunkered down in the dirt.

Nice effect with the Huey's though...

Well, I think everyone realized that such Hollywood explosion is just drown.

When I was much younger, I’ve made a napalm. About ½ gallon.

It began burning without dramatic flashes of fire, just like a normal gasoline.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
ABrangerjoe

Haven't been on the forum in a while- too busy with school. Here's a few in the back yard (no weapons on hand at the time).

post-5137-1336509431.jpg

post-5137-1336509487.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've been collecting for a while, and do on occasion don my gear. Here's some impressions I've done.

Finished Infantry Kit, April 2012. Portraying 1/22nd Infantry, 1968-1969. The only thing I really need is a Lightweight rucksack.

DSC00434.jpg

Independence Day Photo:

IMAG0631.jpg

Some LRRP kits, I don't have facepaint on in any of these because they were just photos.

LRRP with AKM.

IMG_20111225_151217.jpg

IMG_20111225_151236.jpg

LRRP with tigers, these are repro Seaweaves but I have some repro JWD now. Also, I have removed the machete at the advice of a former Ranger.

LRRP6.jpg

LRRP8.jpg

LRRP2copy.jpg

Advisor Kit, based on what my Grandfather wore. This kit is much more complete now, I ought to take updated pictures of this and a few other kits.

Advisor3.jpg

"Back at the base" MACV Advisor impression, late 1965/early 1966. Taken today, need new boots and a Ridgeway cap.

photo15_zps0944db19.jpg

photo14_zpsb58108f3.jpg

Still working on improving a lot of these kits, I'll post updates as I go along.

Enjoy.

-Brent

I've been collecting for a while, and do on occasion don my gear. Here's some impressions I've done.

Advisor Kit, based on what my Grandfather wore. This kit is much more complete now, I ought to take updated pictures of this and a few other kits.

Advisor3.jpg

"Back at the base" MACV Advisor impression, late 1965/early 1966. Taken today, need new boots and a Ridgeway cap.

photo15_zps0944db19.jpg

photo14_zpsb58108f3.jpg

Still working on improving a lot of these kits, I'll post updates as I go along.

Enjoy.

-Brent

Very nice tribute, keep up the good work.