WWII Bomb crew member

OD MAN

I am not sure exactly where to post this...

I am planning to setup a WWII bomb crew mannequin. I am trying to get a B-3 jacket and matching pants right now.

In the future I am looking to get an A-14 gas mask, life preserver (I assume a Mae West), goggles, helmet, and radio gear.

Was the gas mask/helmet/goggle setup worn by all crew members during high altitudes? What radio gear would a gunner or bombardier have? Also what type of helmet or goggles would be used for a gunner or bombardier? If it makes it easier, I am trying to represent from late 1944 to the end of the war. I have learned a lot from previous threads, just need to get some specifics now.

Thank you!

Justin

i would go with either B8 goggles or the M1944s w/ chamois lining. i am trying to do the same thing (space is an issue for me though :pinch: )

Philip

i would go with either B8 goggles or the M1944s w/ chamois lining. i am trying to do the same thing (space is an issue for me though :pinch: )

Philip

Be sure to post photos of your display, I would love to see it!

Justin

im in the same boat you are in right now. need almost everything for it. oh another thing, if you want to score some points in detail you can get the portable oxygen container. :lol:

i got 2 problems that are stopping me from making a display like that: 1 is cash and the other is room :lol:

Good Luck on the Display!

Philip

im in the same boat you are in right now. need almost everything for it. oh another thing, if you want to score some points in detail you can get the portable oxygen container. :lol:

i got 2 problems that are stopping me from making a display like that: 1 is cash and the other is room :lol:

Philip

I know what you mean.

You want to know my problem? College!

Justin

Here is mime i thinking of selling. Ron

I WANT THEM ALL :lol::lol: i am hoping to get a nice A11 set like that, just got to raise some money. i am guessing for a complete set up for a crew member should run $500 - $600 + depending on what items you buy for them and condition.

Philip

Johan Willaert

For reference, here's a picture of my Bomber Crewman circa 1944-1945...

He wears:

-A11 Flying Helmet & ANBH1 Earphones

-B8 Flying Goggles

-A10R Oxygen Mask & ANB-MC1 Microphone

-Officer's shirt w/ Capt Bars en AAF Insignia & Tie

-ANS31A Flying Suit over F3 Electrically Heated Suit

-B3 Flying Jacket

-A6 Flying Boots

-A9 Flying Gloves

-A4 Parachute

-RAF Observer's Type Harness (issued by the RAF)

-B4 Life Preserver

-Parachute First Aid Kit

-A11 Wrist Watch

Exposed gunners would have worn additional A8/9 or 10 Trousers

post-92-1314171864.jpg

For reference, here's a picture of my Bomber Crewman circa 1944-1945...

He wears:

-A11 Flying Helmet & ANBH1 Earphones

-B8 Flying Goggles

-A10R Oxygen Mask & ANB-MC1 Microphone

-Officer's shirt w/ Capt Bars en AAF Insignia & Tie

-ANS31A Flying Suit over F3 Electrically Heated Suit

-B3 Flying Jacket

-A6 Flying Boots

-A9 Flying Gloves

-A4 Parachute

-RAF Observer's Type Harness (issued by the RAF)

-B4 Life Preserver

-Parachute First Aid Kit

-A11 Wrist Watch

Exposed gunners would have worn additional A8/9 or 10 Trousers

Excellent reference, thank you Johan.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

An 8th AF B-24 pilot told me that he never got an electrically heated suit issued until late in his tour. He said it was wonderful until one day he started getting a tingling feeling in one hand. It soon became more than tingling and he ripped off the short circuited glove.

post-54142-1315265912.jpg

thank you for the reference. how much would a complete A11 rig cost?

Philip

What do you mean by an "A11 rig"?

Tom

A11 flight helmet set. meaning A11 helmet w/ electronics, oxy mask, and B8 goggles.

Philip

To answer your question...several hundred dollars! You'll be needing a flak helmet too! The rig you see here has all of the items you listed above.

post-8022-1315338053.jpg

how much would it be without the flak helmet? just trying to get an idea on what these cost. is it hard to put electronics in if you buy them separately? :think:

oh, thats a great set Sabre!

Philip

It's some years since I put mine together...plus I'm in the UK...so I'm not really up with current US prices. That said..USAAF flight stuff is never cheap! A good A-11 will probably be nudging $100+. The "electronics" are simply a pair of receivers on a "Y" shaped loom which ends in a jack-plug. Hard to find and quite expensive too. The receivers fit into the rubber ear-cups. Can be quite difficult to do because old rubber tends to harden and isn't as flexible as it once was. I used a little lubrication and a spoon handle in the manner of a tyre-lever! The least expensive item is the B8 goggle set. I believe there were some up for sale on the forum recently?

Philip

What you need to do is go on the auction sites and look at the realized prices and base you offers on htose and what you feel comfortable with. You are not going to get a complete set without paying for it! Ron

Philip