Corpman Gear

son of desertrat

son of desertrat

What would a Korean War Navy Corpman carry gear wise. Im trying to put together a gear set for a grouping i just got. The gear of his i got was a M45 pack, belt, canteen w/ cup and cover, and suspenders. What else would there be?

Also how do you put the suspenders on the M45 pack?

Thanks

Keenan

It is spelled "corpsman".

He would have worn USMC HBT fatigues, most likely with a stenciled corpsman rate. Like Justin said, he would have used an M3 bag. Medics are also known for making use of musette bags and gas mask bags to hold extra equipment.

Justin

It is spelled "corpsman".

He would have worn USMC HBT fatigues, most likely with a stenciled corpsman rate. Like Justin said, he would have used an M3 bag. Medics are also known for making use of musette bags and gas mask bags to hold extra equipment.

Justin

Also medic stuff in bandolier or 2.

He would look like a regular Marine with more gear / m3 bag.

craig_pickrall

Can you explain the M45 pack. That would be an Army pack. The USMC pack would be a M41. After we determine what you have then we can steer you to the assembly instructions.

Here is one from WWII. As you can see, the KW gear was not much different. LOTS of leftover stuff from WWII five years later. Notice the Corpsman knife on the guy on the right.

post-70-1314151461.jpg

Corpsmancollector
Also medic stuff in bandolier or 2.

He would look like a regular Marine with more gear / m3 bag.

Justin is spot on with this statement. Normal Marine gear but with added carrying equipment for additional medical supplies. I would advice an M3 bag or perhaps a late WWII OD7 lightweight gas mask bag (I haven't got photographic proof that Korean War era Corpsman carried these, but have seen a number commandeered for medical use from different time periods, Marines were also using this type of gas mask bag late in WWII) for carrying medical supplies. Probably have 2 canteens and perhaps a jungle first aid pouch also. Justin's picture of an M41 pack is a solid Korean War example, but I am intrigued as to why you have a M45 (Army) pack in your grouping - could you tell us more?

Best thing to do is find some period photos and base your impression on that!

Good luck,

Will

Oh, and thanks for posting the above photos GB. I particularly like the last one!

son of desertrat

Thanks guys for the info. Ill start looking for that stuff. the M45 pack was sitting on the table with all the other gear so we just got it all.

Keenan

• 11 years later...
JerryTheGerman

Just wanted to dig up an old topic and show a picture of a Corpsman in Korea, he is wearing a Unit-3 bag and has an M1 Carbine, hope this adds something to this ancient topic

D503B024-1D08-4E27-8F16-4D78C7CBA7F7.jpeg