Dug USMC emblems and collar disks

oak

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret
collar

hello

i found the collar in 2011 June, on the Saint-Mihiel battlefield , with a metal detector

regards

oak , from France

pic posted here for reference:

35d19hu.jpg

I see that disc most commonly associated on uniforms of the 5th Brigade. The 4th Brigade did not wear these during combat at St Mihiel. The condition is still pretty hard to believe. Must have been dropped by a "touring" 5th Brigade Marine in 1919. I have never seen a painted bronze object look this good after 90+ years in the ground. Can we see the back side and post and more shotsof your ground dug stuff?

S/F,

Mike

I see that disc most commonly associated on uniforms of the 5th Brigade. The 4th Brigade did not wear these during combat at St Mihiel. The condition is still pretty hard to believe. Must have been dropped by a "touring" 5th Brigade Marine in 1919. I have never seen a painted bronze object look this good after 90+ years in the ground. Can we see the back side and post and more shotsof your ground dug stuff?

S/F,

Mike

Yes :D

post-241-1316164618.jpg

post-241-1316164635.jpg

hellopost-5451-1316198584.jpg

Here are all the EGAs I've found in about 30 years of research on the USMC battlefields in France. So you can see that they are in different conditions according to the ground acidity.

The collar is the model of collar worn by the Marines of the 4th brigade in France from Saint-Mihiel fights, NO DOUBT about it!

I'm happy to share with you what I've found and if you don't believe me it's up to you.

"To do is hard, to judge is easy"

Semper Fi

Oak

OAK,

Welcome to the forum and outstanding EGA Collar Disk as well as the rest of your collection. Awesome finds thank you for sharing.

Regards,

John

Oak,

Very impressive finds!

No one doubted that you found these things in the field. Rather we are amazed that they were found in the ground in such nice condition!

Can you show the ID tag front and back?

I am very jealous!

Thanks for showing.

Kim

post-5451-1316345308.jpg

hello

here are the two different EGA models I've found, note the diferences even the quality of bronze is different, I hope that could be useful in your research. If you need any other pictures, don't hesitate.

Regards

Oak

Hello,

I think that the USMC collar discs, which are very rare on battlefields, were brought to France by the replacement Marines from Saint-Mihiel fights. Does anyone have any information on the supply of the USMC collar during the fights in France ?

Regards

Oak

Hello,

I think that the USMC collar discs, which are very rare on battlefields, were brought to France by the replacement Marines from Saint-Mihiel fights. Does anyone have any information on the supply of the USMC collar during the fights in France ?

Regards

Oak

There is no known documentation on USMC collar disc procurement or supply. Collar discs were authorized for Marines in late August 1918, and procurement occurred in an unknown timespan shortly after in both France and America. I am guessing a matter of weeks. September is a possibility that discs existed, however in all of the material I have handled, I have yet to see photos of 5th or 6th Regiment Marines wearing collar discs during St Mihiel. In all of the material I have handled, collar discs start to show up in photos of 5th Brigade Marines around November, which would suggest they obtained them in France. I have photos of 5th and 6th Regiment Marines wearing overcoat buttons on their collar in Germany in Dec 1918 and Jan 1919, so I believe supply was slow to reach occupation units.

If collar discs did make it to battlefields in September, your replacement theory would be the most likely. It is at best, hard to say, as no dates are associated with their procurement.

I know Fred Bruier, was studying yardlong photos taken in Germany to try and determine the spread of discs and draw some conclusions of availability. Maybe he will include that info in his long awaited book.

S/F,

Mike

Bonjour.

... September is a possibility that discs existed, however in all of the material I have handled, I have yet to see photos of 5th or 6th Regiment Marines wearing collar discs during St Mihiel...

The collar was worn during the St. Mihiel operation.

The latest discovery is unfortunately the evidence.

solcarlus.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=75373