What are these patches? OIF?

arclight

Found these in the $1 bin last week. I feel pretty confident that both of these are Iraqi or OIF related. The first is definitely theater made. A small circular, merrowed edge, yellow felt-type center material with camel and arabic writing. The back has a sperately applied cloth backing, typical of theater made patches. Still not sure what the purpose of that added cloth on the back is. I have a 1st Cav Div patch with this cloth backing, but I have yet to get an explanation for its presence. Anyway, here's the first patch below. Any information would be much appreciated as to what it is, who wore it and where/when, and if it is indeed Iraqi.

post-297-1314117216.jpg

post-297-1314117223.jpg

Now, this one, could be US made, but I don't know. I feel like I've seen it before (perhaps in one of Hawdriver's sew shop pics), but can't be certain. It has velcro backing. Was this patch worn by soldiers? Where was it worn and under what conditions? Was there a particular time frame for it's use?

Thanks for looking,

Gary

post-297-1314117394.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods
Now, this one, could be US made, but I don't know. I feel like I've seen it before (perhaps in one of Hawdriver's sew shop pics), but can't be certain. It has velcro backing. Was this patch worn by soldiers? Where was it worn and under what conditions? Was there a particular time frame for it's use?

Thanks for looking,

Gary

post-297-1314117394.jpg

This is a US/Afghan cooperation patch, (BTW, Hawkdriver was deployed to Iraq...Schottzie is now deployed to A-stan). It is essentially a theater made morale patch, that size is sometimes worn on the outside velcro of pistol mag pouches (I have a picture somewhere) or on vests. It is current BTW

I have NO idea what the other patch is.

CNY Militaria

I have seen the US/Afghan flag worn by interpreters occasionally, but never on a US Soldier. They are cracking down on the wear of "unauthorized" patches.

The first one is either Saudi or Iraqi, but I think Saudi. I got one in the very early 90s. I will dig it out sometime and see if I have an ID on it.

Thanks for the input, guys! I was beginning to worry no one knew anything about these. Interesting that the flag patch was worn on a mag pouch or by terps. Wonder what the deal is on the camel patch. I got these from a sew shop by Bragg, and all the patches in the bin have been removed from uniforms, so there's gotta be some kind of connection to our soldiers in Iraq. I guess. Maybe.

When I got to Afghanistan '09, these dual flag patches were almost universally worn by members of Task Force Phoenix, especially the members of the 33rd IBCT which was the lead for the task force when I arrived in country. It wasn't a "morale patch" at all, it was a required part of the uniform for those soldiers. They were also very widely worn by other Advisors who worked closely with the ANSF at the time.

Vance

This is a US/Afghan cooperation patch, (BTW, Hawkdriver was deployed to Iraq...Schottzie is now deployed to A-stan). It is essentially a theater made morale patch, that size is sometimes worn on the outside velcro of pistol mag pouches (I have a picture somewhere) or on vests. It is current BTW

I have NO idea what the other patch is.

Misanthropic_Gods
When I got to Afghanistan '09, these dual flag patches were almost universally worn by members of Task Force Phoenix, especially the members of the 33rd IBCT which was the lead for the task force when I arrived in country. It wasn't a "morale patch" at all, it was a required part of the uniform for those soldiers. They were also very widely worn by other Advisors who worked closely with the ANSF at the time.

Vance

Very interesting, more light is shed on this. Thanks for the response, I learn something every day.

Vance

Very informative! Where were they worn? It wasn't in place of the US flag on the right arm, was it? Thanks for sharing this info! And BTW, I love reading you INSIGNIA Blog!! Keep up the great work!

Gary

Gary,

They were worn on the left sleeve pocket flap (instead of the ISAF patch). The more I was thinking about it last night, I remembered seeing these worn with the 82nd ABN patch as well (late '09). I believe those personnel were again in direct advisory roles with Afghan Security Forces. This might explain why it showed up a Bragg, when most of the Task Force Phoenix trooper were National Guard.

Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I haven't had much time to put towards it lately, but it's been a fun "outlet" for me.

Vance

Very informative! Where were they worn? It wasn't in place of the US flag on the right arm, was it? Thanks for sharing this info! And BTW, I love reading you INSIGNIA Blog!! Keep up the great work!

Gary

That makes since as to why I found it there. Thanks for all the great information! I look forward to your next blog entry.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of flags patch being worn?

Misanthropic_Gods
That makes since as to why I found it there. Thanks for all the great information! I look forward to your next blog entry.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of flags patch being worn?

I do, somewhere...I just have to look through my photos, I have a TON so there is no guarantee

• 4 months later...

This past weekend, I learned that the first patch pictured here, the small, round yellow one with the camel, is Kuwaiti, for a supply train unit. Makes sense if you compare the camel to a pack mule.G