HOOSIER PATRIOT MEMORIAL

BEAST

On November 8th, the Hoosier Patriot Memorial was unveiled. This memeorial is the first of its kind in the nation to commorate the National Guard. I helped by setting up the following display showing the uniforms of the Indiana National Guard from the Spanish-American War through OIF. With the exception of the "chocolate chips" all of the uniforms are ID'd to Hoosier Guardsmen.

First a few shots of the new memorial:

post-203-1194697463.jpg

post-203-1194697495.jpg

The display was split into three main groups, Army NAtional Guard Span-Am thru WWII, Army NAtional Guard Korea thru OIF and Air National Guard. However I did have some information on Indiana's Navy, the Indiana Naval Forces.

post-203-1194697741.jpg

post-203-1194697769.jpg

post-203-1194698346.jpg

Here is a close-up of the Span-Am uniform. This belonged to Sgt (later Color Sgt) Walde from the 157th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. The photo is also of Sgt Walde at a Guard encampment in 1903.

post-203-1194698480.jpg

Here are a few pieces of early insignia:

post-203-1194698629.jpg

And an early guidon from the 150th Field Artillery

post-203-1194698639.jpg

And finally, two moral patches from the 150th FA in OIF:

post-203-1194698747.jpg

Beast,

What a fantastic display. What a great memorial. I know from experince that this took alot of time and was a labor or love. Thank you for sharing and perserving and educating about the Indiana National Guard.

4starchris

Chris, Gil,

Thank you for the kind words. This was a lot of work, but well worth it! My wife once asked me why I collect and this display demonstrates the reason why. We had over 300 visitors for the unveiling, including 100+ kids from a local high school band. Hopefully they will have a better appreciation of those who have served to defend their freedoms.

One notable expression of thanks came from MG Umbarger, the state's Adjutant General. He thanked me for the display and then presented me with his coin. Never got one of these while I was in the military!

post-203-1194788095.jpg

post-203-1194788121.jpg

Beast,

I don't know what else to add. That is just a great display and a fine thing to do.

And I'll say again, I really love focused collections. The coin is well deserved.

Is this memorial in Indy?

Outstanding display! From one "focused" collector to another, you have a great setup there! I hope one day to setup a presentation at a 3ID reunion or association meeting. Sharing the history is incredibly important.