1970's and 1980's Ranger Patrol Caps

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Picked these up from a military show last week.

One is color, although it's 1983 dated, the other has no tags. The sewing jobs look original and washed/wrinkled on the interior. Whatcha think, you Ranger Regiment guys?

000_3242.jpg

Full Color

000_3243.jpg

Interior

000_3248.jpg

Cats Eyes

000_3247.jpg

Flaps

000_3249.jpg

Tag

000_3250.jpg

Subdued

000_3251.jpg

000_3252.jpg

000_3253.jpg

craig_pickrall

Are the "cat eyes" tape? In the time frame of these caps the "eyes" were usually material that asorbed light and glowed very faintly in the dark. They had an adhesive back but still were sewn on. They were a plastic like material. It is the same material used on the issue helmet band but larger.

In the early 80's these caps were hard / impossible to get through the supply system and were purchased at surplus stores and usually were commerical copies rather than the real thing. That accounts for the one with the Made in the USA label.

It was fairly common to have a name tape sewn on the back of the cap.

It is almost impossible to say if these are real or repro but I think they are suspect.

The patrol caps themselves look pretty good, and as Mr Pickrall said many were sold in surplus stores. In my opinion I would be skeptical as the Ranger tabs look too new for the PC. The older white wings on the one hat look too fresh and clean. I think the white insignia went out in the very early 70's but could be wrong on that. Finally, the SOP for the Ranger Regiment shows the PC with only rank insignia and the Ranger tab- if earned. I don't think the jump wings were worn. Cat eyes were made of reflective tape. Students sewed them on with dental floss, but a tabbed Lieutenant would surely have them machine sewn. I have 7-8 of them, but none look like these. just my 2 cents

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Thanks guys,

These were retreived from an estate sale although I don't know the guys name.

Although the wings look very white, they are old. Perhaps a put together as a Ranger Instructor?

The Subdued one looks good to me but once again I'm no expert. The patches are evenly worn and the item has been laundered. Perhaps someone can identify if these caps were ever configured in this fashion?

As I recall from my experience, all I ever saw was Ranger tab and rank but that was in the early 1980's.

Rock

craig_pickrall

I have a 1974 dated Ranger recruiting poster that has a Ranger with his field gear and festooned with rope. He is wearing OD7 jungle fatigues and a OD7 patrol cap. Every thing is subdued except the ranger tab on his cap. He does not have rank insignia below the tab. The tab (under magnification) appears to be cut edge.

• 9 years later...
On 8/24/2011 at 1:34 PM, treetop said:

Also spoke to a CSM ® who told me jump wings were never worn with tab and rank either in the scchool or reg't.

Subdued Jump wings were worn below the Ranger Tab on patrol caps in the early 1980s - look at photos from Grenada. As a Brit who exercised with the 2/75 in 1983/84 I remember the wings being worn - this was back when the black beret was being worn in barracks. All insignia was subdued.

easterneagle87

Plenty of shots from the 80's with tabs worn above subdued wings. Even a couple of recruiting shots showing colored Ranger tabs. Was always envious of the patrol cap when we had to wear the stupid OG-107 baseball cap that never seemed like it would stay on your head. The Rangers even had that cool "roll" where the top sides would be crimped in. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

On 8/22/2011 at 10:18 AM, craig_pickrall said:

In the early 80's these caps were hard / impossible to get through the supply system and were purchased at surplus stores and usually were commerical copies rather than the real thing. That accounts for the one with the Made in the USA label.

There used to be a tailor shop outside the gate at Ft. Benning that made patrol caps to order.  They had a pocket in the crown for carrying ID card, money, etc.  The shop was still around as late as 2006 but closed soon after.  I guess the issue ACU cap with standard pocket did them in.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the AAFES Clothing Sales carried only the M81 NyCo Poplin PC with the wool-lined earflaps, man, I hated those covers.   

The Vietnam OG-107 Jungle Utilities were still authorized for summer/tropical wear since Big Army had not adopted the hot weather ripstop Woodland BDUs yet, and AAFES was still selling off the Vietnam war stocks for $8.00 per set.     Worn either with the M81 PC or, you went down on Victory Drive to Ranger Joes to buy an aftermarket OD-107 PC without the ear flaps.   I remember SOP being to keep a full color USA 2x3 flag patch inside the top flap, held on with two of the blackened brass safety pins from the 5.56mm bandoleers.    I recall there was a wear out date for the OG-107 Utilities, after the Hot Weather BDUs were introduced, of October 89? or maybe 90.

Those aftermarket Patrol Caps were a God-send, the issued poplin cap would shrink if you ran it through the clothes dryer, the wool would shrink causing the earflap to pucker and shrink 2 or 3 sizes.   And it was hot A-F in the summer or warmer climates, all those extra layers of fabric and wool, the non-breathable poplin would bake your head.  The aftermarket PCs eliminated those extra layers of fabric and the vent grommets allowed airflow, you could block the cap with an afternarket stiffener or just shape a smart appearance to your head  with hot water then let to air dry.

• 11 months later...
Vanderbilt

....I know old thread. These are my two old patrol caps. Both private purchase. We'd wear them on field excersizes or on border patrol when I was stationed at Bad Kissingen. They weren't worn to formations or around the post. Not authorized, same as our black berets, in the early 80's.

20220706_211558.jpg

20220706_211631.jpg

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

....I know old thread. These are my two old patrol caps. Both private purchase. We'd wear them on field excersizes or on border patrol when I was stationed at Bad Kissingen. They weren't worn to formations or around the post. Not authorized, same as our black berets, in the early 80's.

20220706_211558.jpg

20220706_211631.jpg

Some of the more useful and interesting things I've found on the forum were found in old threads. They are goldmines! 

Mikie

Vanderbilt

..@Mikie, yep, my interest is more in military history than collecting. Plus I get to relive some of my own experiences. There's some good knowledge to be harvested here, if you seek it out.