Vietnam era Ranger, BSM, PHM, and others

coberry731

This is a group that I received from my uncle last weekend. He was assigned to the 2/16th Infantry Regiment with the 1st ID in Vietnam during 1968. He was a platoon leader on a search and destroy op, when he ran across a batallion sized element of VC. He was wounded early on getting the radio frequency from his RTO, who was KIA. A 7.62 round ricocheted off the ground and hit him between the eyes on teh bridge of his nose. It lodged in his skull. After that, he directed artillery in ont he bad guys, and called his company to assist, who later called the rest of the battallion to assist. He wasn't medevacced out until after nightfall.

In talking to him, he said the one thing that saved him and allowed him and his ment o prevail, was the training he received during Ranger school.

The Ranger tabs are his. One he was issued at Benning, and one he wore in country. He was awarded the BSM with V device and the Purple Heart for that action. There are two BS medals pictured. One was given to him in the hospital. The other was given to him during a ceremony. He didn't remember why he received the ARCOM.

I have two questions, if someone can help me. One: Was the order of precedence different in 1968 than it is now? Or did he make a mistake in displaying his ARCOM ahead of PH? Two: Anybody have any idea about the subdued Ranger tab? Where it was made?

And if you're wondering, I'll be making a shadow box of all his stuff for him. I'm still in awe that he would allow me to have all this stuff to work on!

More pictures to follow.

post-31877-1313959213.jpg

post-31877-1313959180.jpg

post-31877-1313959167.jpg

Very nice collection. My father went through NCO school at Fort Benning before going to Vietnam and they took an abbreviated Ranger course during their training although they were not considered Ranger graduates or awarded the Ranger tab. He said it was amazing how much practical information he learned during that course that most soldiers arriving in Vietnam did not know about such as calling in artillery coordinates and Medevacs.

That was the correct order of precedence for the ribbons at the time. The Purple Heart was worn after all other decorations but before the Good Conduct Medal and service medals until 1985 whe the regulations were changed to place it right after the Bronze Star in order of precedence.

Very nice collection. My father went through NCO school at Fort Benning before going to Vietnam and they took an abbreviated Ranger course during their training although they were not considered Ranger graduates or awarded the Ranger tab. He said it was amazing how much practical information he learned during that course that most soldiers arriving in Vietnam did not know about such as calling in artillery coordinates and Medevacs.

That was the correct order of precedence for the ribbons at the time. The Purple Heart was worn after all other decorations but before the Good Conduct Medal and service medals until 1985 whe the regulations were changed to place it right after the Bronze Star in order of precedence.

I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the reply!

That is quite a project to have the honor of working on!

And quite a story behind his earning of the BSV and PH.

Please post photos of the finished shadowbox.

This is a group that I received from my uncle last weekend. He was assigned to the 2/16th Infantry Regiment with the 1st ID in Vietnam during 1968. He was a platoon leader on a search and destroy op, when he ran across a batallion sized element of VC. He was wounded early on getting the radio frequency from his RTO, who was KIA. A 7.62 round ricocheted off the ground and hit him between the eyes on teh bridge of his nose. It lodged in his skull. After that, he directed artillery in ont he bad guys, and called his company to assist, who later called the rest of the battallion to assist. He wasn't medevacced out until after nightfall.

In talking to him, he said the one thing that saved him and allowed him and his ment o prevail, was the training he received during Ranger school.

The Ranger tabs are his. One he was issued at Benning, and one he wore in country. He was awarded the BSM with V device and the Purple Heart for that action. There are two BS medals pictured. One was given to him in the hospital. The other was given to him during a ceremony. He didn't remember why he received the ARCOM.

I have two questions, if someone can help me. One: Was the order of precedence different in 1968 than it is now? Or did he make a mistake in displaying his ARCOM ahead of PH? Two: Anybody have any idea about the subdued Ranger tab? Where it was made?

And if you're wondering, I'll be making a shadow box of all his stuff for him. I'm still in awe that he would allow me to have all this stuff to work on!

More pictures to follow.

post-31877-1313959213.jpg

post-31877-1313959180.jpg

post-31877-1313959167.jpg

From the pic I believe the Ranger tab was an incountry made piece as are two of the name tags.

Terry

From the pic I believe the Ranger tab was an incountry made piece as are two of the name tags.

Terry

very nice grouping you have there especially coming from a relative. a real treasure for you