ID Bracelet

Sarge8

post-52851-1313956671.jpgA friend who does not collect miltary items gave this to me. I believe it's a post WW1 3rd Army ID Bracelet for a Sgt in the occupation forces, ca 1919.

Named to "Sgt P.L. Blackwell U.S. Army" on reverse "Trier Germany 1658152 " probably his service number. I think 3rd Army was HQ'd in Trier.

Question- should I polish it of leave it alone? No silver mark, so may be German silver.

Thanks

Frank

PS- If in wrong forum, please move it.

Very nice piece! :thumbsup: If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. It has a nice patina and all the inscriptions are very readable, no need to mess with it.

Very nice piece! :thumbsup: If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. It has a nice patina and all the inscriptions are very readable, no need to mess with it.

Couldn't agree more!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it as is. I've tried to find out more info about Sgt Blackwell, but can't find a fit on Ancestry.com or the internet. Is there a way to track him buy serial number?

Thanks, Frank

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it as is. I've tried to find out more info about Sgt Blackwell, but can't find a fit on Ancestry.com or the internet. Is there a way to track him buy serial number?

Thanks, Frank

According to the serial number guide, available on the forum under the Research threads, his serial number puts him in the 76th Division, Camp Devens, MA, during February, 1918, when serial numbers were initially assigned. The 76th went to France in July 1918 and became a Depot Division (3rd Depot Division, I believe). Consequently, the Division sent replacements to combat divisions. Your man probably was a replacement sent to one of the divisions that became part of the Army of Occupation -- 1st, 2nd, 3rd and probably some others. I might be wrong about the 2nd, but I know the 1st Division was a part of the Army of Occupation. Well, I hope that little bit helps.

Pete

According to the serial number guide, available on the forum under the Research threads, his serial number puts him in the 76th Division, Camp Devens, MA, during February, 1918, when serial numbers were initially assigned. The 76th went to France in July 1918 and became a Depot Division (3rd Depot Division, I believe). Consequently, the Division sent replacements to combat divisions. Your man probably was a replacement sent to one of the divisions that became part of the Army of Occupation -- 1st, 2nd, 3rd and probably some others. I might be wrong about the 2nd, but I know the 1st Division was a part of the Army of Occupation. Well, I hope that little bit helps.

Pete

Thanks for the info. Since he was probably from Mass, probably was inducted through Devins.

Frank

Thanks for the info. Since he was probably from Mass, probably was inducted through Devins.

Frank

Frank---if its any help,

Trier was the second largest German city occupied by the US 3rd Army after WWI----

It was also know as Treves (older version of the name Trier) and was the site of the AEF Advance General HQ while the 3rd Army was HQ'ed in Coblenz---

Trier was in the VIIth Corps area and the largest local combat unit was the 89th division----however there were a lot of Corps units in the area including the 814th Pioneer Infantry, the 166th FA Brigade, the 347th FA Rgt, the 348th FA rgt, 7th Trench Mortar BN, 604th engineers, VIIth Corps supply train and the 326th Field Signal Battalion (most of which were from New England)

your guy could have belonged to any of these (or none) as Trier served as a major R&R center for a while for troops who couldn't enjoy the sights and sounds of Coblenz...

Al

Think I might have a good candidate: Preston Lincoln Blackwell 1890-1955 from Bourne, MA listed as WW vet on 1930 census. Single- probably never married.

I'll contact the MA War Records Office this week and see if they have any WW1 records.

Frank

EUREKA! I Found Him!

My hunch was right. I just rec'd a copy of the service card from the MA National Guard Museum and Archives in Worcester. They have file cards on WW1 Service for MA residents.

Preston L. Blackwell, Serial #1658152 (same as ID Bracelet)

Inducted at Barnstable, MA 20 Sep 1917

Org: Co H 302 Inf to 5 Jun 1918

Co A 301 Ammo Train to 9 Jul 1918

Co D 301 Ammo Train AEF to 9 Nov 1918

Co B 1 G.H. Bn M.P.

Grades: Wag 21 Jun 1918; Corp 1 Sep 1918; Sgt 20 May 1919 (Must be about when he got the bracelet)

Served overseas: 12 Jul 1918 to 10 Jul 1919

Discharged: 16 Jul 1919 at Camp Devins, MA

NOW- have to find a picture of him!

Frank