"Non-Standard" USAAF theater made Aircrew wings.

Sabrejet

I've had these wings for a number of years and they've always intrigued me. I used the term "non-standard" because they definitely aren't like the more refined factory-made wings. That said, they're very well detailed and certainly have some age to them by virtue of their patina. To me, they have a "coin silver" look and feel, though there are no markings of any description to attest to that fact. In profile, as I hope the photo will show, they are much thinner than "regular" wings. The locking catch isn't the usual ball-type and the pin has a bend just where it pivots in its hinge which serves to add some spring-resistance when it's fastened. Could they be proverbial "theatre-made" wings? Any thoughts gentlemen? Thanks.

post-8022-1313938396.jpgpost-8022-1313938409.jpg

BTW....the reddish tone you see above is caused by the flash! :pinch:

post-8022-1313938621.jpgpost-8022-1313938629.jpg

Sabrejet :think:

I think they are a nice example of "the proverbial" theater made wings.

From what I can see, they are very nice.

Patrick

Yeah? Thank you Patrick. Would you care to hazard a guess as to which theatre? I'm thinking maybe C-B-I.

Ian :think:

Yeah? Thank you Patrick. Would you care to hazard a guess as to which theatre? I'm thinking maybe C-B-I.

Ian :think:

CBI works for me. I think sometimes collectors focus on CBI as a catch all for theater-made wings and forget that we had bases and forces in other countries. For example, I sometimes wonder if some work done in South America is attributed to CBI?

But, they do have the look of Chinese made wings, IMHO.

Patrick

CBI works for me. I think sometimes collectors focus on CBI as a catch all for theater-made wings and forget that we had bases and forces in other countries. For example, I sometimes wonder if some work done in South America is attributed to CBI?

Patrick

Roger that Patrick....thank you.

Ian :thumbsup:

Patrick

I second this ( if it matters ;) )

Paul

.........I think sometimes collectors focus on CBI as a catch all for theater-made wings and forget that we had bases and forces in other countries. For example, I sometimes wonder if some work done in South America is attributed to CBI?

Patrick

For this novas, your simple statement opens my mind to a possibility I had not even considered!

Thank you.