WWI or earlier Chevrons - Need help with Dates

all-bull

Hello there,

Can someone please tell me when these ranks would date? The first is wool on wool, the others are wool on cloth. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

post-2063-1313934655.jpg

The red on blue sergeants chevrons also could have been used in the 1920's & 30's when the dress blue uniform for enlisted men was optional (but seldom seen).

Hello there,

Can someone please tell me when these ranks would date? The first is wool on wool, the others are wool on cloth. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Bill Emerson book Chevrons goes into great length about these types of enlisted rank. The late Mike VonDeckbar took his research one step further and was covered in two articles in ASMIC's quarterly publications called the Trading Post. The blue field w/red chevron follows a construction style introduced after 1907 if I can recall correctly although it was part of the original 1902 pattern color scheme to match the 4 different style uniforms of the time. Your next set of chevrons was part of the original 1902 pattern grouping and intented for the Khaki uniform. There was also Dress White and Olive Drab pattern chevrons but by 1904 they were all discontinued including the

Khaki. The way you can tell if you have an original set of the 1902 dress blue chevrons is by the ending tips of the stripes. They would deflect upwards just like in your Khaki Arty Sgt chevrons. The straight ending tips occurred after 1907. When the 3 uniform types were discontinued the QMD introduced drab colored chevrons like your last set. These were slowly introduced in 1905 - 07 following the general phase out and would follow the same high quality construction as the original 02 pattern chevrons but would be khaki on khaki, o.d on o.d, and in some limited situations od on white for the Recruiting Service and I believe the Medical branch.

As stated in the earlier post the dress blue chevron lasted the longest and well into the 1930's.

Aloha,

John