Gettysburg- Little Round Top and Devil's Den

mmerc20

When I was little, I remember my Grandmother showing me a photo of my Great-Great Grandfather taken around 1905-1910 next to a monument in Gettysburg. Since I am currently about an hour from there and about 45 minutes from my Grandparent's house, I asked her if she could find the photo and if I could borrow it for a trip today.

After seeing it (the first time in 20 years) I knew it was from Little Round top. I went there first thing this morning and took a photo from the exact location and did a little photoshop work with it. This is the final result.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

Mike

post-3373-1313893759.jpg

So then I decided to play around with it a little more and came up with this. I never thought I would be in the same photo as my Great-Great Grandfather.

post-3373-1313893834.jpg

After those photos were completed, I drove down to Devil's Den and came upon the site of one of the most famous photographs taken right after the battle. It showed a Confederate soldier laying dead at a sniper position. I learned that the photo was staged by the photographer but that didn't matter to me today. I blended the original photo along with the one I took.

I think it is a really haunting piece now.

Mike

post-3373-1313893972.jpg

Pretty cool

I was there in 04.Great view.Down the road and to the left was a little traveled road.A park employee told us about it.We took the detour and saw some monuments most over look.One was to the Irish Brigade.Had an Irish Wolf Hound on the base.Very impressive monument.

Hope you had a great trip.I want to go back some time soon

I saw the Irish brigade monument. That was very impressive. When I got there about 8am the fog was still rather thick and the sun was trying to break through. Here is one of my favorite shots.

post-3373-1313894827.jpg

Neat photos.

Even better, there is a family resemblence between you and your great-great grandfather.

Excellent shot of the Irish Bde. monument. I could shoot for an entire weekend and never get a hit like that. Digital photographer is great in that you can shoot, shoot, and shoot again and hopefully something will turn out to be a winner like that one.

I visited the Devil's Den when I was a child in the 1960's. Very haunting, to this day. It was very abstract to look over the green fields where the battle had taken place, but a completely different feeling to be standing where you know for certain that one man had died. I remember it to this day.

Thanks for sharing!

Thats a great photo you captured of the monument in the fog.

We happned to be there when fog was present too.

Devils Den is a somber place.We spent at least an hour there.It is said the creek ran red below the den.

Very humbling to be in areas on the battlefield where so many lost their lives.

Those are Excellent Photos you have shared there with us and Thanks for sharing them Very Impressive indeed ! :thumbsup:

Gettysburg is where the Famous Irish Fighting 69TH Brigade Fought extensively and soaked the Battlefields with there blood

there is also another Monument there Dedicated to the Irish that fought there it is a massive Celtic Cross Dedicated to them

with the Shamrock in the middle of it Very Intresting from my point of view Between 180.000 - 200.000 Thousand Irish lost there

lives on the American Battlefields During the American Civil War Years it has be estimated by Irish Historians.

I have a good friend here in Ireland that is a Military Man and a Military Historian also that is bringing out a Large group of Irish to

Gettysburg PA this week would love to visit that Battlefield.

And in 1963 When J.F.K Visited Ireland as the Presidented of the United States he brought back with him The Éiréánné Gó Brágh Flag

that exact Flag that was uesd in the Civil War carried by the Irish Regiment and dedicated it to all the Irish that lost there lives there.

A big Thanks for sharing this with us :thumbsup:

Best Regards

Tomás

Éiréánné Gó Brágh !

I saw the Irish brigade monument. That was very impressive. When I got there about 8am the fog was still rather thick and the sun was trying to break through. Here is one of my favorite shots.

That Is an Outstanding Shot you have taken there with the Fog in the back ground

and the Sun shining through the Thick Fog look amazing that Photo. :thumbsup:

1944, Doyler was talking about the amazing Irish monument earlier. I meant to stop and get a picture of it, but I forgot to. I plan on going back in 3 weeks and will be sure to get one then. In the mean time, here is a link to a site about it: http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/NY/IrishBde.php

Mike

Mike

Thats it.I was looking for my trip pictures as I have a picture of it and I also bought a nice professional print/photo from the gift shop

1944, Doyler was talking about the amazing Irish monument earlier. I meant to stop and get a picture of it, but I forgot to. I plan on going back in 3 weeks and will be sure to get one then. In the mean time, here is a link to a site about it: http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/NY/IrishBde.php

Mike

Hi Mike ,

Thats exactely the Irish Monument that i was on about :thumbsup:

Just like Ron said with it Irish Wolfe Hound lying at the bottom of the Celtic Cross along with the Shamrock

attached to it, Sure is am amazing Monument and thank you for the link with a lot of information to go with it also :thumbsup:

One of my friends sent me that picture before from the U.S.A but it was on P.D.F Format So i couldn't copy the picture !

Please do when you go back up load a Photo of it to here for reference would be great also i have a friend that served in the Irish Defence Forces like my self and he is a Military Historian and is going out to the U.S.A Tommorow from Ireland and bringing a large group Visiting all the Civil War

Battlefields where the Irish Fought and got Killed In Action.

Thanks Again.

Best Regards

Tomás.

Hi Mike ,

Thats exactely the Irish Monument that i was on about :thumbsup:

Just like Ron said with it Irish Wolfe Hound lying at the bottom of the Celtic Cross along with the Shamrock

attached to it, Sure is am amazing Monument and thank you for the link with a lot of information to go with it also :thumbsup:

One of my friends sent me that picture before from the U.S.A but it was on P.D.F Format So i couldn't copy the picture !

Please do when you go back up load a Photo of it to here for reference would be great also i have a friend that served in the Irish Defence Forces like my self and he is a Military Historian and is going out to the U.S.A Tommorow from Ireland and bringing a large group Visiting all the Civil War

Battlefields where the Irish Fought and got Killed In Action.

Thanks Again.

Best Regards

Tomás.

Tomas

Sounds like a great trip your friend is going on.Have him get you a print of the monument at the gift shop.Its a really nice photo.

Tomas

Sounds like a great trip your friend is going on.Have him get you a print of the monument at the gift shop.Its a really nice photo.

Hi Ron,

I sure will be in Contact with him Thanks for that, i would have loved to had the money to go

on the Tour if it wasent for me buying Military Items all of the time :) so i missed out its my loss..

I will diffneatly go on the Tour to the States with him the next time to visit them Very Important Battlefields

on U.S soil He also does cover Tours to European Battlefields from WWI - WWII he is also an Author of many

Irish History Books of Battles that took place a very good friend of my Father.

Best Regards

Tomás ;) .

• 6 months later...

I couldn't help but adding another couple of monuments. First is the North Carolina monument, and across the field the NY monument on Little Round Top. My ancestor was up there shooting at my wife's ancestor, who was in the 49th NC charging across that field with Pickett.

I've also included a shot of the high water mark of the Confederacy, where the 26th NC went the farthest across the field...right into the mouth of that artillery.

A beautiful and haunting place, definitely a must-see.

post-69474-1331953904.jpg

post-69474-1331953921.jpg