11th Airborne Division Wings

VMI88

I picked up a set of 11th Airborne Division wings at a military show today. I'm no expert on these and I wanted to get some opinions from the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

post-265-1313886977.jpg

Sorry but this is a copy. It has the wrong style pin back for this type of post war wing. These types of wings had a "C" catch or they also call them tongue catch not the ball type catch. My guess is that this was cast from an original wing as the incised SILVER is correct. I believe these were made in occupied Japan after the war although I've been told by other collectors that they were made in occupied Germany.

That kind of confirms my suspicions. I didn't pay too much for them fortunately. Thanks for the information.

I know that there are a number of different variations on this wing that exist. Here is one in my collection that I think is a good example for comparison. Mine is made of multiple pieces and has the C-catch and hinge that I think is correct for these type of wings. It has no markings on the back.

The other wing seems cast to me, which is always a red flag.

post-1519-1313938746.jpg

Thanks for the information -- I was able to return the wing.

I really feel dumb for getting caught on that one -- I should have known better. I actually have a Japanese-made wing (the basic parachute wing, not the 11th Airborne type) that has all the correct features you describe. Oh well, live and learn. At least this lesson was free!

Bill

• 4 years later...