Aisne-Marne American Cemetery

Squad leader

Squad leader

Stone marker in the village of Belleau. (front)

It reads: "Ici fut repoussé l'envahisseur 1918." "Here the invader was repulsed."

The marker is a donation of the minute women of the Washington State. (The minute women of Washington was a Home front organization)

post-1681-1313886764.jpg

Thanks again Daniel,

These are truely amazing Photos you have provided us with here simply amazing

absloutely stunning and also the Information to go with it, It is great to be able see the photos like this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

excellent series of photos on the various cemeteries, Daniel!

the combination of the neat photos and the informative text descriptions are exactly the sort of post that will be of enduring reference use here on The Forum.

Thank You!

Great job! :thumbsup:

Terry

Among the most sacred and holy places I have had the honor to visit, these images bring back the same feeling I had when I walked those hallowed grounds over 10 years ago. It is among the most sacred of places I have been which has included Iwo Jima. Thank you for posting such great images I hope you found it as moving as I did.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Thanks Daniel for all those great photos ... even if I live just a few miles from there, I'm always very impressed when I go to Belleau and last week, I just stopped (I was cycling and tired) to see (again) the fountain of Belleau's castle.

Just a few word to remind everyone that less than a mile from the american cemetery, there's a german cemetery ... they didn't get the glory, but sure they got pain and death.

post-32632-1314199959.jpg This is the grave of Cpl Marshal Braden, My maternal grandmothers cousin. On the back of the photo it states; Oise Aisne Cemetery, Fere en Jardenvir France. Is this the same cemetery?

Squad leader
post-32632-1314199959.jpg This is the grave of Cpl Marshal Braden, My maternal grandmothers cousin. On the back of the photo it states; Oise Aisne Cemetery, Fere en Jardenvir France. Is this the same cemetery?

Hi 12thengr,

No, this not the same cemetery. Your maternal grandmother cousin is buried in the Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, in Fère-en-Tardenois (instead of Fere-en-Jardenvir).

The Oise-Aisne American Cemetery is located 22km/13 miles north-east of Chateau-Thierry.

Dan.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked our member Squad Leader about something I had been wondering about for a long time, and he was kind enough to check it out for us...

Me: I did not want to raise this on your threads, but one thing I have never been able to find any information about was what happened with these memorials during the German Occupation during WWII. Did they treat them with respect? Did they just leave them alone? Or did they keep the public away from them? I'd be curious if you know.

Daniel: To answer your question, unfortunately I do not know what happened with these US WWI memorials during the German occupation during WWII.

However I will call Mrs Nicolas, the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery associate, soon and I will ask her the question.

As promised, I phoned Mrs Nicolas this morning and she kindly answered your question.

During WWII, the US superintendent was in charge of the US memorials until the declaration of war in December 1941.

In the first days of 1942, all the US staff was repratied to the USA and the French foreman was given the responsabilty of maintaining the US WWI memorials.

The salaries of the French staff were paid by the US gorvernment via the embassy of Switerzland which was neutral.

The German general commanding the region of Chateau-Thierry was a WWI veteran and the German soldiers were given the formal instruction to treat the US WWI cemeteries and memorials with great respect. Non-compliance would have result in disciplinary actions and martial court.

German soldiers and the public were free to visit the memorials .

Thanks Daniel... if you have posted this elsewhere, I had missed it. I wanted to make sure it got added to your thread.

In 2006 there was still damage (from a 37mm shot?) in the wall behind the door to the chapel in the Aisne-Marne Cemetery. I'll look for pics of it...so there was at least SOME fighting in the cemetery as the Allies pushed east.

Steve

• 5 years later...