• patches
    • named
    • ribbons/badges/medals
    • fully researched/ with id
    • condition
    • type (ike,dcu ect..)
    • branch of service
    • other (please post)

I would say that tradition makes a great uniform, Navy & Marine Corps uniforms have always been my favorite- so much history and they have barely changed much over the years. :thumbsup:

-Joe

Talk about opening a can of worms! :lol:

Is a WWI jacket better than a WWII jacket because it is older?

Is an unnamed WWII Ike jacket with valor awards better than a named Ike jacket with no valor awards?

Is an Army jacket better than a Navy jumper?

Is a salty combat worn jacket better than a mint jacket?

Justin

Talk about opening a can of worms! :lol:

Is a WWI jacket better than a WWII jacket because it is older?

Is an unnamed WWII Ike jacket with valor awards better than a named Ike jacket with no valor awards?

Is an Army jacket better than a Navy jumper?

Is a salty combat worn jacket better than a mint jacket?

Justin

Agreed!

I checked half the boxes. Its tough!

canadian bacon
I'm not qualifier to vote,( so I'm not) but I think this thread is a fun idea!! :thumbsup:

thanks i was looking at the few uniforms (all non american) that i have and noticed that all of mine have a ribbon bar or medal rack and thought it would be interesting to see what was the most popular uniform selling point

The two things I look for in a WWII uniform:

1) What patches it has

2) A hint of a name (like a laundry mark)

For example, I just got a uniform and found the name "Rathjen" in it. I think researching the history of the person behind the uniform is where all the fun is.

shrapneldude

Patches and Name are my top two. Research is nice, but sometimes it's nice to get one that's not researched and track it down yourself. Patches and Naming are two things that can't really be fiddled with on a uniform without being obvious. Regardless of age, you can usually tell how long a patch has been sewn down to a uniform and whether it's recent or not. Pins and medals and badges and such can be stuck on at any time by anyone and it's a lot harder to authenticate, but the name and the sewn-on insignia are indicators to me of 1) a traceable history and 2) an original piece. And, naturally, USMC uniforms are better than every other uniform out there. :D

I Hate Moths

Knowing who wore it, along with some history of service is a big plus.

The topic asks what makes a great uniform, not which one is better.

"can of worms" :thumbsup:

I wear some of the clothing I buy so in that case I prefer that if its a dress jacket it be plane jane nothing on it.

now the collector part of me wants all kinds of bells and whistles on it (then I do not wear it)

just the same though I want it good shape and not shreaded or anything.

fully researched/ with id :thumbsup:

Agreed... with the extra thought that it has to be my area on interest. In my case: Medic, Doctor, Nurse or Chaplain.

Shanghai Jack

Your poll seems to be oriented towards modern uniforms (WW I to the present). If you were talking about uniforms from all time periods, then you would have to add several items to your list such as buttons.

Documentation definitely makes an item. A documented uniform to a soldier who actually wore it at Gettysburg or a documented Model 42 jump suit to a paratrooper who actually wore it for the D-Day Invasion are quite special. A documented uniform showing evidence of a soldier being wounded in battle is also quite special.

Some collectors have a strong interest in 'Going Home' uniforms, particularly if they have all the bells and whistles, and are documented to gallantry winners.

carbinephalen

The unit and if it can be identified! OR one with provenance. An ike is just a piece of cloth if you can't put a name and face with it. :thumbsup: