any pics of real Marines officer in Evening Dress A?

michss

These would be worn at events where there is very little photography going on - diplomatic receptions, state dinners, etc. - or if there are photographers they focus on the civilian VIP's, not the military attendees.

I found one photo of a Marine acting as an usher at a White House dinner:

whdinner1.jpg

These would be worn at events where there is very little photography going on - diplomatic receptions, state dinners, etc. - or if there are photographers they focus on the civilian VIP's, not the military attendees.

I found one photo of a Marine acting as an usher at a White House dinner:

post-214-1314023317.jpg

I found another pic of same Marine in this event

post-15570-1314024624.jpg

You could see the cummerbund on his waist,so he dress in B not A....But anyway,thank you,my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

How many events do you think people are going to go to where they need an evening dress cape? It appears the white vest was only worn whenever the cape was involved. I was only able to find two images of the older style evening dress uniform that have the white vest.

hh6383.jpg

The other image is from a LIFE magazine cover of a lieutenant colonel wearing the uniform in 1941. Google "marine evening dress" and you'll find the picture.

There's also a website that has a really nice picture of Chesty Puller wearing the above uniform. Google "chesty puller dress."

How many events do you think people are going to go to where they need an evening dress cape? It appears the white vest was only worn whenever the cape was involved. I was only able to find two images of the older style evening dress uniform that have the white vest.

hh6383.jpg

The other image is from a LIFE magazine cover of a lieutenant colonel wearing the uniform in 1941. Google "marine evening dress" and you'll find the picture.

There's also a website that has a really nice picture of Chesty Puller wearing the above uniform. Google "chesty puller dress."

Nice,thank you so much.... :w00t:

The evening dress (or mess dress) uniform can only be worn by Majors and above, even then it is optional becuase it is very, very expensive ($1,300 for just the jacket....). Although most Majors have it and all the LtCols I have ever seen own a set. The cloak is rarely (as in almost never) worn becuase it is very hot, cumbersome and most events take place indoors so the cloak would be removed as soon as you arrived (much like the modern all weather coat worn with the Service A uniform).

It is often worn to Marine events but there are few pictures taken of it, some as referenced earlier, others becuase most of these events feature drinking and Marines quickly forget about pictures....

This link from the Marine Corps uniform board website breaks down what events it can be worn at and may help you search for pictures:

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcu.../MCUR/URCh2.htm

I'm guessing the wear of the white tie is about as rare as it is in the Navy...I was the only person I knew who actually owned that uniform (I wore it for my wedding). Checking the Inaugural Ball photos of years past (one of the 3 times it's authorized to be worn) it appears that Marines in attendance typically wear the standard "B", even though the President is in white tie. I did find a photo of an Army officer with white tie at the Kennedy Inaugural Ball...that's a super rare one too. I'm sure there are more photo galleries of the Balls in existence...I'd try some of the presidential libraries and see if they have any photos of Marines in uniform at the Inaugural Ball.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
The evening dress (or mess dress) uniform can only be worn by Majors and above...

That's not true. There are photos above, including the portrait in the official USMC uniform plate that show a lower ranking officer wearing the evening dress uniform. The cuffs of the uniform help indicate what rank the person wearing it is. Warrant officers, second lieutenants, first lieutenants, and captains wear a cuff with a quatrefoil design on them. Majors, lieutenant colonels, and colonels wear the cuff with the same style gold braid they wear on their visor hats. General officers wear heavier gold braid on their cuff.

There are plenty of examples of company grade officers wearing the evening dress uniform.

There's an example of a USMC Warrant Officer Gunner somewhere here on the site.

Here's the quatrefoil design, also on the site here:

post-88-1253138821.jpg

Here's a captain's shoulder insignia:

post-88-1253138850.jpg

The evening dress (or mess dress) uniform can only be worn by Majors and above, even then it is optional becuase it is very, very expensive ($1,300 for just the jacket....). Although most Majors have it and all the LtCols I have ever seen own a set. The cloak is rarely (as in almost never) worn becuase it is very hot, cumbersome and most events take place indoors so the cloak would be removed as soon as you arrived (much like the modern all weather coat worn with the Service A uniform).

It is often worn to Marine events but there are few pictures taken of it, some as referenced earlier, others becuase most of these events feature drinking and Marines quickly forget about pictures....

This link from the Marine Corps uniform board website breaks down what events it can be worn at and may help you search for pictures:

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcu.../MCUR/URCh2.htm

in the "MC uniforms illustration 1983" then you could see the cuffs of all-grades on the evening dress

post-15570-1316715257.jpg

Again, I would just chalk it up to a uniform that is seldom worn, thus there might not be that much pictoral evidence to show it. Did it exist? Of course, it did. Just because there isn't any pictures of it in use doesn't mean it wasn't worn.

Here's a couple from the 2007 Commandant's Birthday Ball. At top, a 2-fisted drinker. At bottom, Boz with his Christmas Elves. Just kidding....his wife and friend.

post-1107-1316797524.jpg

post-1107-1316797531.jpg

• 3 years later...
blitzkrieg gsd

I love these special dress uniforms they are very cool in my eyes. Would like to add one to the collection one day either officer or enlisted mans. They pop up on eBay from time to time for sale but I haven't bid on one cause I don't know enough about them. Now that I know how expensive they are for the Marine to buy I can see myself paying a decent price for one.

These are authorized to all officers and warrant officers, and Staff NCO's. As mentioned, due to the cost, they are seldom purchased and worn by those not in billets requiring them. I once saw a Major being fitted for his and told him he looked sharp, his reply as a good-natured "for the cost I'm paying I certainly hope so!"

I have seen them worn on only two occasions. A newly minted 2ndLT at the Ball in 2008 (no idea what caused him to buy it, he was the only one there wearing it), and a couple of years ago the Battalion Commander and Sgt Maj wore theirs to the Ball

Chutesandskulls

Most of our staff seem to wear them at the ball. Our officers seem to coordinate either they all wear the evening dress or they all wear the Dress blues.

• 1 month later...