CASE V42 Stiletto

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

It was suggested that we start a topic in Edged Weapons Reference on the V42. So those of you who got them......how about posting them.

Greg Robinson

Here are a couple pics that I've had for a while. The scabbard originally was mated with a lessor condition stiletto I used to own. I've not been able to find a nicer one which I felt was legit. Reproduction/fake V42 scabbards have become a problem in recent years.

post-4-1194619025.jpg

post-4-1194619059.jpg

Greg Robinson

here are some pics I got off the 'net of a mint V42 and scabbard. I wanted to show what a mint hilt looks like....note how on this one the guard is blackened.......and a mint scabbard since fakes of this are such a problem.

post-4-1194619427.jpg

post-4-1194619451.jpg

post-4-1194619473.jpg

Johan Willaert

Here's a veteran of the Southern France Campaign. I'm the third owner since WW2.

It's not mint, but still very nice....

Note on all scabbards how the staples are not really symmetric....

post-92-0-44048000-1356356975_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-58587400-1356356984_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-68816500-1356356993_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this topic so I thought I'd show some pics of my V-42. I bought this knife from a 29thID vet, he said that he got it from a Canadian. He also told me that he carried it ashore on D-day, its seen some action.post-179-1195851533.jpgpost-179-1195851631.jpg

• 6 months later...

I think you might be interested in a find I recently made. My sister's neighbor was in the Navy from 1939 until 1946 and stationed aboard the USS Omaha CL-4 for his entire enlistment. He passed away several years ago and his widow recently began getting rid of some of the "junk" he had accumulated. She told my sister that she had several knives that she had thrown in the trash to get rid of. My sister told her that I was interested in WW2 memoribilia and asked if I could have them. (She had to get them out of the dumpster.) I turned out there was Ka-Bar and sheath (no additional markings on the ricasso), a 1905/42 RIA bayonet w/sheath (1918 date) and four Case V-42 knives with the Navy raider sheaths. One sheath is marked "USS OMAHA and serial number "R-30".

If I can figure out how to add images I will add them to my next posting.

"Never underestimate stupid people in large groups."

Johan Willaert
What do they retail by chance?

paratrooper.fr (at the Dead Man's Corner Museum in Normandy) has one for sale at 4500Euro!!!! I'll leave it up you to decide if it's worth that....

four Case V-42 knives with the Navy raider sheaths.

Now, that's something we would want to see pictures of... What a find!!

If you can tell me how to add images I'll be glad to send them.

T Mielke

Hello,

I believe there is a tutorial on the forum for adding pics.There was a link posted by a moderator on how to post on the forum.It was a real help to me.

RON

I think you owe your sister dinner and a nice weekend at a resort!!!All my sisters ever brought home were dead beat boy friends.

Very nice and what an instant collection.I think the Kabar is not very common variation.

I keep telling people that it is surprising what still gets thrown away.

RON

Greg Robinson

AMAZING FIND!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif This beats what I saw a couple years ago when a local antique dealer got a Springfield Armory Model 1842 musket out of a trash can.

While I always worry about lettering on older objects made with sans serif individual letter punches, the knives and scabbards appear to be the genuine article. Wonderful find no matter how you obtained them.

A recent live auction on ebay had a Case V42 bought by a floor bidder for $8,500.

post-214-1213987433.jpg

post-214-1213987441.jpg

This was at the Rock Island Gun Auction and isnt usually your typical collector there.These are the guys who pay $80,000 for a 1928A1Thompson,

$250,000 for winchester rifles etc.They also didnt show you the real price as he had to pay a buyers premium also.If I remember correctly the buyers premium is around 17% at the RI Auction Company.You pay that above what you bid(just for the "privaledge" to buy it).There have been others on ebay that havent even sold at $3500 and nicer condition.

RON