CASE V42 Stiletto

Greg Robinson

A recent live auction on ebay had a Case V42 bought by a floor bidder for $8,500.

post-214-1213987433.jpg

post-214-1213987441.jpg

The price paid for this knife is completely out of line both for it's market and resale value. I think the buyer just got caught up in the excitement of the auction and had a case of the must haves. As Doyler says there have been nicer V-42s for sale since that auction and they have failed to sell for $3500.00

The price paid for this knife is completely out of line both for it's market and resale value.

Of course "market" is merely what anyone is willing to pay on any given day and with many scarce collectibles "market value" can be a very wide range of values and on the day that one sold, at least two bidders were willing to extend the high end of the range. Certainly you don't pay that with the intent of reselling it anytime soon :) This is also a great example of how many collectibles sell on ebay for half of what they might sell for in a physical location. I see that all the time at militaria shows where people will pay a lot more for something they can hold in their hands or a least examine in person before plunking down their dollars. I had a scarce piece of militaria last fall which some folks in the know estimated was worth perhaps $700, which I thought was great. But, someone locally, able to see and hold it before buying, gave me $3,000 for it.

Really with collectibles there is no such thing as out of line - it may be more than you or I think it is worth, but if someone else thinks otherwise and shells out the money, then they, not us, have established market value.

Greg Robinson
The price paid for this knife is completely out of line both for it's market and resale value. I think the buyer just got caught up in the excitement of the auction and had a case of the must haves. As Doyler says there have been nicer V-42s for sale since that auction and they have failed to sell for $3500.00

V42's have never sold well on ebay. The near mint one I own was auctioned by the US military knife collector/author, Mike Silvey in 1998 and failed to sale. But I bought it from him "off ebay" after the auction. I did the same thing with one I used to own.....listed it on ebay but sold it "offline". I think in the real world ANY decent V42 will sell for $3500- $5000+++++.

Greg

• 1 month later...
Guest Shortcake2569

I have a V42 that is in rough condition. It was found in the basement of an old house. I am trying to sell it but don't know what to ask for it. Any suggestions??

I have a V42 that is in rough condition. It was found in the basement of an old house. I am trying to sell it but don't know what to ask for it. Any suggestions??

Welcome aboard.

If you can post a picture it would help.Is the scabbard there?How rough is it.I have recently picked up a second V42 for my collection.fairly nice and has some pitting due to long term storage in the sheath.The acid in the tanning process will react with changing conditions and eventually eat into the steel.

Value is what you can get some one to pay.I friend sold one in very poor condition about 9 months ago at a show for $700.The scabbard was cut down,grip strap missing,lots of rust on the blade which he cleanrd off.He got it at a garage sale and the lady had used it for years gardening.

In my opinion mosy people who "tell you what its worth" are not the onse who will buy it.

RON

Congratulations on acquiring the second V-42, this and your other V-42 will make a beautiful display as they have a very special connection due to the history of the two original Forcemen who owned them.

Congratulations on acquiring the second V-42, this and your other V-42 will make a beautiful display as they have a very special connection due to the history of the two original Forcemen who owned them.

Thanks for the comments.This latest one is actually another I had run into.Un related to the Cagney piece posted earlier.It came from New York.I have been trying to see if I can ID it to someone in the unit book as it was found many years ago in a house(in the attic).The house was in Cheekatowa(?) New York which is out side of Buffalo NY.

RON

• 2 months later...

trying to figureout posting pictures, below you can only do attachments 150k bid and a picture is more than that any help would be appreciated. thanks, tuna

trying to figureout posting pictures, below you can only do attachments 150k bid and a picture is more than that any help would be appreciated. thanks, tuna

cool i got first picture on a post i tried to get two pictures but they are still to big. anyways i need help, Iwant to make sure this v42 is authentic. the other picture is the opposite side with the crossing arrows. this is not a case i'm thinking, any ideas i will put more pix up of course

cool i got first picture on a post i tried to get two pictures but they are still to big. anyways i need help, Iwant to make sure this v42 is authentic. the other picture is the opposite side with the crossing arrows. this is not a case i'm thinking, any ideas i will put more pix up of course

picture of the opposite side

The knife is a fairly current re-make of the V42.The original knife had the Case company name below the thumb print not crossed arrows.

RON

The knife is a fairly current re-make of the V42.The original knife had the Case company name below the thumb print not crossed arrows.

RON

what other company's made V42's. I am very surprised that my father-inlaw would have a repro in his collection, is this a paul chuen, I don't know how to spell his name. Ive seen his knives on EBAY

"tunabiss", Your V-42 was made about 30 years ago; in the U.S.A.. It is the closest (to original), & most exact reproduction ever made; with machine cut "thumb print" grooves, original type stacked leather handle, blade, & sheath. The only differences are: crossed arrows (instead of the word "Case"), & screw on pommel (not pinned). It has good collector value, but nowhere near the price of an oringinal.

• 4 weeks later...
It was suggested that we start a topic in Edged Weapons Reference on the V42. So those of you who got them......how about posting them.

Hi All,

My father was a member of the Force (in the Service Company). He passed in 2002 and I inherited his memento's, among which was his V-42. . It sat in my parents dresser all these years, I never knew he had it until my mother gave it to me after he died. It's stamped 'U.S. 508' (serial number??) and is in what I would consider good shape. I would like to upload some pictures, but it is limiting me to 150 kb and my pictures are larger then that. I will have to retake pictures or is ther another way to upload images?

Based on what this knife may be worth, I am considering parting with it, but I would want this to go to a true collector who cares about the Force and it's history and who could maybe give me some more backround information (more then I have already researched). Dad never talked about his outfit or his service. How would I go about finding a collector in my area or upcoming Militaria shows in my area?

Hi All,

My father was a member of the Force (in the Service Company). He passed in 2002 and I inherited his memento's, among which was his V-42. . It sat in my parents dresser all these years, I never knew he had it until my mother gave it to me after he died. It's stamped 'U.S. 508' (serial number??) and is in what I would consider good shape. I would like to upload some pictures, but it is limiting me to 150 kb and my pictures are larger then that. I will have to retake pictures or is ther another way to upload images?

Based on what this knife may be worth, I am considering parting with it, but I would want this to go to a true collector who cares about the Force and it's history and who could maybe give me some more backround information (more then I have already researched). Dad never talked about his outfit or his service. How would I go about finding a collector in my area or upcoming Militaria shows in my area?

I collect FSSF items and also have a original unit history with roster.What type information are you seeking?

RON

I collect FSSF items and also have a original unit history with roster.What type information are you seeking?

RON

What exactly were the functions of the Service Company? Also, I can't tell from his records whether he was drafted into the Force because of his civilian skills (mechanic and farmer) or somehow volunteered. His rating was 'Heavy Machine Gunner', which doesn't make sense being in the Service Company.

Here is a picture of his V-42.

post-4638-1227034877.jpg

I would say your father was most likely a volunteer to the Force.I do know a couple of guys who were picked up by the force out of specialty schools.One was in HQ Company and was picked up out of a school as he was a clerk/typist.The other guy I knew was a Radio operator/repairman and served in Service Company.He was also awarded the CIB.I have his discharge with his group proving the award.Another group I have the man was in Service Company and was told by other Force vets he had been a stretcher bearer in Italy.Many of the Forcemen went to other units upon the disbandment of the Force.Those that remaind became the 474th Regimental Combat Team and went to Norway.Many of the others were absorbed into the various Airborne or infantry units.The man I mentioned earlier who was in service company(stretcher bearer)went to the 101st.He voulunteered and became a parachute rigger.

RON

I would say your father was most likely a volunteer to the Force.I do know a couple of guys who were picked up by the force out of specialty schools.One was in HQ Company and was picked up out of a school as he was a clerk/typist.The other guy I knew was a Radio operator/repairman and served in Service Company.He was also awarded the CIB.I have his discharge with his group proving the award.Another group I have the man was in Service Company and was told by other Force vets he had been a stretcher bearer in Italy.Many of the Forcemen went to other units upon the disbandment of the Force.Those that remaind became the 474th Regimental Combat Team and went to Norway.Many of the others were absorbed into the various Airborne or infantry units.The man I mentioned earlier who was in service company(stretcher bearer)went to the 101st.He voulunteered and became a parachute rigger.

RON

Thanks for the Info Ron. I have my Dad's CIB and paperwork as well.

Scott

thumbsup.gif

My V42 bought 2000 dollars five years ago on Ebay.

The small strap sheath was changed at a time unknown.

Have you any idea to give a beautiful appearance to the scabbard which was heavily greased?

imgp0187redimensionnerdk9.jpg

imgp0198redimensionnerim9.jpg

imgp0183redimensionnerbr2.jpg

imgp0184redimensionnerle2.jpg

imgp0188redimensionnerbm6.jpg

imgp0189redimensionnergv7.jpg

imgp0190redimensionnerjh7.jpg

imgp0194redimensionnerke6.jpg

imgp0195redimensionnerjv7.jpg

Regards

Ben from Cherbourg

Here's my V-42. Got it from the Vet back in 1985. He was a glider pilot in the 1st Air Commandos. He told me that the first 20 guys who arrive at the glider training base were issued these, but everyone after that got something else.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

I asked him about the Egyptian pyramid and other decorations on the scabbard. He didn't have a reason for adding them to it. Just adds to the mystique of the knife.

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG