Belleau Wood Memorial

Squad leader

Squad leader

Yesterday, I went to Chateau-Thierry (France), en route I visited the Belleau Wood battlefield, the Aisne-Marne American cemetery and the Chateau-Thierry monument on hill 204.

Here are the pictures I took, hope you'll enjoy.

Entrance to the Belleau Wood memorial (South West).

post-1681-1313792972.jpg

Squad leader

Belleau Wood is maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission as a memorial to the American fighting men who fought in the AEF during World War I.

post-1681-1313793358.jpg

Squad leader

Vestiges of trenches, shell holes and relics of the war to include weapons found in the vicinity may be seen. A monument erected by the U.S. Marines and a flagpole are located on an island in the road passing through the clearing in the center of Belleau Wood.

post-1681-1313793672.jpg

Squad leader

The monument is a black granite stele to which has been affixed a life-size bronze bas-relief by Felix de Weldon of New York, NY of a Marine attacking with rifle and bayonet. It commemorates the 4th Marine Brigade of the U.S. 2d U.S. Division which was primarily responsible for the capture of the Wood.

post-1681-1313794031.jpg

Squad leader

Below the bas-relief at the base of the stele is a bronze plaque on which is engraved in English and French:

Bois de Belleau officially renamed Bois de la Brigade de Marine by commanding general commanding French 6th army on 30 June 1918 in recognition of the courageous action of the 4th United States marine brigade in the seizure of this wood in the face of determined German resistance on 27 May 1918. The Germans launched a major surprise offensive which crossed the Chemin des Dames and captured Soissons. By 31 May, their armies were advancing rapidly down the Marne valley toward Paris. The 2nd United States army division of which the 4th marine brigade formed a part, was rushed into the deepest point of the penetration to assist the French forces in stopping the advance of the ennemy. Rapidly occupying defensives positions South and West of Belleau wood, the 4th marine brigade, composed of the 5th and 6th marine regiments and the 6th machine gun battalion, stood firm under unremitting ennemy attacks from 1 to 5 June. On 6 June, the marines began a series of attacks which culminated on 25th June with the capture of the entire Belleau wood area, and the defeat of the German offensive in this sector. My the gallant marines who gave their lives for corps and country rest in peace.

post-1681-1313794166.jpg