P-38 at Tillamook

12thengr

P-38's are one of my favorites. I got a chance to see one at the Fredrick, MD show years back. I was amazed at how big they are!

in addition to the cool aircraft viewable there, the blimp hanger itself is worth the trip! That is one incredible structure; massive and impressive in all it's timber-constructed glory :thumbsup:

thanks for posting those pix!

Terry

Speaking of P38s anyone know where the one they used in Combat or Von Ryans express ended up think they may be the same bird they used in the crash scenes

It’s a surprising museum in every sense. Most museums have a lack of space, but this one has the most space of any museum I’ve ever seen, they could probably put a recreation of a WW2 airfield inside their building. There are a lot of planes in there in various states of restoration. If you ever go, look up at the near main hangar door. There’s a basketball hoop mounted at the top, about 120 feet off the floor! :blink: I always wondered how they got that up there. You can see this hangar for a long time before you get there. There is also the Tillamook dairy nearby for the family and a nice tourist railroad running a steam locomotive close by, too. Just make sure you go in the summertime as it can get pretty nasty out there in the winter and a lot of tourist activities only operate between May and September.

Noted aviation writer/pilot Jeff Ethel bought it there in 1997 when one engine on the P-38 he was flying (44-26969, registered as N7973 at the time) had a loss of power and he went down into trees. It was a bare-finish aircraft at the time and not the one shown here but I can’t find any photos online of it before the crash.

Johnny Signor
post-32632-1313797203.jpg A rare bird, I can't remember the designation though.

That's a Grumman "Duck" number/desig ??????????

Johnny

also nice seeing the PBY with a bow gun emplacement, most now days are faired over !

• 2 weeks later...
It’s a surprising museum in every sense. Most museums have a lack of space, but this one has the most space of any museum I’ve ever seen, they could probably put a recreation of a WW2 airfield inside their building. There are a lot of planes in there in various states of restoration. If you ever go, look up at the near main hangar door. There’s a basketball hoop mounted at the top, about 120 feet off the floor! :blink: I always wondered how they got that up there. You can see this hangar for a long time before you get there. There is also the Tillamook dairy nearby for the family and a nice tourist railroad running a steam locomotive close by, too. Just make sure you go in the summertime as it can get pretty nasty out there in the winter and a lot of tourist activities only operate between May and September.

Noted aviation writer/pilot Jeff Ethel bought it there in 1997 when one engine on the P-38 he was flying (44-26969, registered as N7973 at the time) had a loss of power and he went down into trees. It was a bare-finish aircraft at the time and not the one shown here but I can’t find any photos online of it before the crash.

It is a great place to visit, and I have always marvelled at the basketball hoop mounted above the hanger door. And it's hard to describe to people how impressive and immense the hanger is. My parents lived a little south of Tillamook and I always found the hangers hard to skip whenever I visited. I sadly remember when Hanger A burned...what a bummer, but I am happy that the one still lives on as the museum. Here's a link to an article about the fire that was the demise of Hanger A for those interested.

When I was a Tillamook working on Jeff Ethel's P-38 video a number of years ago, Jack Erickson (owner of the museum) told us - with a twinkle in his eye - that he had a standing offer of one million dollars to anyone who could make a free throw in that basket, by hand, on the first try. :blink: I don't know if anyone has ever even tried!

When I was a Tillamook working on Jeff Ethel's P-38 video a number of years ago, Jack Erickson (owner of the museum) told us - with a twinkle in his eye - that he had a standing offer of one million dollars to anyone who could make a free throw in that basket, by hand, on the first try. :blink: I don't know if anyone has ever even tried!

Now, that would be a great shot! And a lucrative one at that... ;) I think I got dizzy just looking straight up at the basket. I know I couldn't even come close to making that shot, and I play basketball twice a week. They should put together an event and float that offer. I could just see it becoming a reality show with people showing up from all over the world to take a shot. It could possibly be a money maker for the museum... :rolleyes: Not!!

Zeph

i gather this place is in western OR. Is it part of a naval air station, or strictly private?

It is just outside Tillamook, Oregon which is a small city on the coast pretty much due west of Portland.

It is a former Navy installation that housed airships. Many of the buildings are now privately owned, and the remaining airship hangar is a museum that is open to the public. IMHO it is well worth the trip, and in many ways the building is one of the most interesting parts of the entire museum.

In the summer, they used to offer rides in various vintage aircraft, but I don't know if they still do, and I doubt any of them are the warbirds.

It is possible to visit both the Tillamook Air Museum and the Evergreen Air & Space Museum in McMinnville all in one day, but I'm not sure you could do justice to either museum by doing so. The Evergreen museum is the current home of the "Spruce Goose" as well as other great aircraft.

Steve