Huge old 129th Air Resupply Group patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Well it's Friday again,and time to post an oldie but goody from my collection.Some of you fellow patch peeps already know that I have a penchant for

the unusual units;the Spook,Rescue,Special Forces,Intel,K-9,etc..,to name a few.

So having said that,todays' offering is yet another from a unit that started out obscure,but is a bit more well known today as an Air Rescue unit.

I found this patch some years back,when I first saw it,I recognized the emblem from one I already had in my Air Rescue unit collection,the 129th,

out of California.But there were some differences;first,it had no writing on it,and second,it is a very large patch,about the size of

a dinner plate!

I was very happy to acquire it for a very reasonable price,and when doing some research about it,came up with some very interesting info

regarding the units' mission and the aircraft that they flew,especially early on,which is the time period that I believe this patch dates from.

I could'nt find a whole lot about this unit,here's what I came up with from some online sources:

Some 129th History Through the eyes of an old Flight Engineer and charter member of the 129th

Chief Master Sergeant James F. Badgrow

Following the 1954 move of the 144th Fighter Wing to Fresno, the 129th Air Resupply Group was formed at Hayward Air National Guard Base and was federally recognized on April 3, 1955. The Air Resupply mission, dealing in unconventional warfare, would later become known as Air Commando and then Special Operations. Equipped with the C-46 and under the command of Lt Col John R. Breeden, the new unit was challenged in its first winter of existence. That winter the Sacramento valley was hit with severe flooding. The new 129th responded, flying much needed relief supplies into isolated areas. In 1956, the amphibious SA-16 (later re-designated the HU-16) was added to the squadron's inventory. They were painted black for the night mission. The capability to operate on both land water added more mission flexibility, but also presented unique training challenges.

In November 1958, the group was reorganized as the 129th Troop Carrier Squadron (Medium). Major (later promoted to Colonel) Charles W. Koenig, a World War II P-51 Mustang fighter Ace, then assumed command. As the year 1962 arrived, the old C-46s were now sitting in the "Bone Yard" in Arizona and the HU-16 would be our sole aircraft. The 129th would also re-gain Group status. That year the 129th passed its first, of many, "Operational Readiness Inspections". Some would say, "It would be a cold day ......" for that to happen, and it was - it snowed in the San Francisco Bay area....

In July 1963 the beloved black HU-16 "Albatross" was replaced with the C-119. The "Flying Boxcar" gave the 129th added range and cargo capability. Another unique aircraft, the U-10 "Helio Courier", would be added to the inventory giving us a short range, short field capability. With these changes came another name change - to the 129th Air Commando Group. Although the name changed, the basic mission remained the same.

The Air Force, recognizing its expertise in the Air Commando mission, in 1968 called on the 129th to train its pilots to fly the U-6 "Beaver" in the mission for operations in Viet Nam. The program was called "Lucky Tiger", and the unit was cited by the Air Force for quality and effectiveness of the training. By the 1970s, the Air Force no longer had flight crews qualified in the C-119. In 1972, the unit supplied flight crews to ferry some AC/C-119 aircraft from the US to Viet Nam. Although some maintenance problems were encountered, these were coped with and solved, and the "two-engine" C-119s were successfully delivered across the "four-engine" Pacific Ocean.

Also of note during this time period, the U-10s were replaced with U-6s and the Air Commando mission became Special Operations.

Partial History

129th Air Resupply Group was activated in the California Air National Guard April 3 1955 at Hayward Airport, California

( at least some of the "Air Resupply" units were Spook units )

Flying C-46 Air Commando aircraft they moved Personnel and Materials for the U.S. Continental Air Command;129th was then transferred to the Tactical Air Command; Mission remained the same Redesignated 129th Troop Carrier Group; Mission remained the same

In 1956 the Group received Black-Painted Amphibious SA-16 (re-designated HU-16) Albatross aircraft

Redesignated 129th Air Commando Group

129th Air Commando Redesignated 129th Troop Carrier Squadron (Medium) November 1958

The C-46's were phased-out by 1962 leaving the Squadron flying HU-16s

The 129th regained "Group" status again in 1962

The HU-16 "Albatross" was replaced with C-119 "Flying Boxcars" July 1963

Redesignated 129th Air Commando Group; mission remained the same

Also flew: U-10s, U-6s and U-3s during this period

Redesignated 129th Special Operations Group

Ran a U-6 "Beaver" training mission for the USAF called "Lucky Tiger" for RVN bound personnel

In 1972, the unit supplied flight crews to ferry some AC/C-119 aircraft from the US to Viet Nam.

In April 1975 the Unit was given a New: mission, designation, and Air Force Command.

Redesignated 129th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Group (ARRG) under the Military Airlift Command (MAC).

Mission changed to Combat and Civilian Rescue flying HC-130 Hercules & HH-3E Jolly Green Giant Helicopters.

Unit moved to Moffett Field, California in 1984.

In October 1989 the 129 ARGG was Redesignated 129th Air Rescue Group (ARG).

Conversion from the HH-3E Jolly Green Giant to the HH-60G Pavehawk Helicopter was completed in 1990

Later this Unit(s) was Redesignated 129th Air Rescue Squadron under the 129th Rescue Wing.

Previous designations;starting at the bottom.

129th Rescue Wing (1 October 1995–Present)

129th Rescue Group, 16 March 1992

129th Air Rescue Group, 1 October 1989

129th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Group, 3 May 1975

129th Special Operations Group, 8 August 1968

129th Air Commando Group, 1 July 1963

129th Troop Carrier Group (Medium), 28 January 1962

129th Troop Carrier Squadron, 1 November 1958

Allocated to the National Guard Bureau (NGB), 3 April 1955

129th Air Resupply Group, 3 April 1955

Aircraft operated

MC-130P Combat Shadow (2002–Present)

HC-130P Hercules (1980–2002)

HH-60G Pave Hawk (1991–Present)

HH-3E Jolly Green Giant (1975–1991)

U-10D Super Courier (1968–1975)

U-6A Beaver (1968–1975)

Cessna U-3A (1968–1975)

C-119 Flying Boxcar (1968–1975)

SA-16 Albatross(later re-designated the HU-16) (1963–1968)

C-46 Commando(1955-1962)

Any additional info about this unit would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

post-13386-1313760727.jpg