joefriday22

USMC Pistol Lanyard

Hi folks,

I've had this lanyard for a while but it doesn't look like any other that I've seen except one. I saw one on Ebay listed as a "Rare, USMC pistol lanyard". I have my doubts about that but was wondering if any of you may know something about it.

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

Thank you,

Rob

Rob,

Yep, USMC lanyard. IIRC it came in green too.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

Rob,

Yep, USMC lanyard. IIRC it came in green too.

Thank you very much. Are they common? I have only seen two.

Rob

Years ago there was a junk shop in SC that had 100's of WW I& WWII lanyards. WWI ones were dated, Army WWII were as we see all the time. The now "so called" USMC ones were khaki and a shade of OD. Other Army Surplus shops on the East coast sold them as well.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2017.gif

I have seen the lanyard pictured above in a display with a WWII Navy flare gun. Could they also have been used as such?

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I recall when Army-Navy Stores had piles of these !!

No one was buying them

Bill

"The Americans on this Island are not ordinary troops, but Marines, a special force recruited from jails and insane asylums for blood lust." -Japanese Newspaper found during the Battle of Guadalcanal - "They Got That Right!!" Chesty Puller

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

post-6975-1313874375.jpgpost-6975-1313874395.jpg

From Dial's "US Marines on Iwo Jima" page 73. Look between his elbow and the M1916 .45 holster.

donation2017.gif

Gracious, that's a heck of an observation to spot that.

Thank you very much for taking the time to find and post that picture.

Rob

USARV72, Well bite me in the butt and call me an apple, but I believe you have found the first documented case of the USMC "Dog Leash" lanyard in action!! Good job!! BTW. It took me awhile to see it in your picture.

Bob

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

post-6975-1313965861.jpgUsed to be a USMC collector for a few years back in the 80's, just had to much stuff and let it all go. I knew I'd seen a pic of a Marine wearing one. IIRC I had a khaki and green one. Perhaps someone else will post about the colors?

donation2017.gif

I just noticed that it looks like the Marine in the photo, ran the lanyard inside the holster under the flap to keep it from getting snagged on stuff. Very clever!!

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Yea, clever and no doubt learned from earlier combat. Hoping someone may have a better pic as this is a well known shot. Still looking for other pics of Marines using lanyards..

donation2017.gif

Yea, clever and no doubt learned from earlier combat. Hoping someone may have a better pic as this is a well known shot. Still looking for other pics of Marines using lanyards..

O.K., how's this one. Not the same type of lanyard, though... ;)

post-70-1314152362.jpg

GB

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2018.gif

gunbarrel,

Thanks, saw that one during the search for the flat type, IIRC there are a few more with the braided/rope type.

donation2017.gif

I think the group of men in the landing craft are a Naval Beach Unit rather than Marines.

The man seated seems to have collar insignia on his shirt.

Notice how the man behind the one seated has the USMC and EGA on his shirt pocket inked over. The Navy had their own version of the M41 pattern HBT uniform. It was a copy of the Marine uniform but USN marked and a different material but still HBT.

This is the same treatment of the inked over USMC and EGA. It was done by a Seabee.

post-5-1314204005.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Excellent feedback, Craig--thank you! :thumbsup: You know, I wondered about the smeared USMC & EGA on the pocket of the one guy; now I know! Below the USMC he also wrote something like "MC B." Does it ring a bell?

Thanks, again.

GB

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2018.gif

Here is an enlarged color detail of the lanyard being used in the flamethrower photograph previously submitted. No doubt in my mind it is a khaki USMC dog leash lanyard in use. Now I wish I had bought more of them when I had a chance many moons ago. Interesting detail in the photo is the addition hole punched in the flap possibly to keep the pistol more securely positioned in the holster.

Bob

1000120187_DogLeashLanyard.jpg.c12bc55a7ec17f89125b321a6fd940c1.jpg

donation2008.gif

I decided to set up the lanyard picture details with unissued militaria from my collection to see what it would look like and for proof of concept. BTW. The 1911A1 is my reproduction, shooter pistol because I don't holster my mint Colt, 1942 manufactured, example for love or money. I think overall, the presentation turned out pretty nice and authentic looking.

Bob

1427482336_mystuff.jpg.2a088c8211db2fadd6122fa2432d0534.jpg

donation2008.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.