Der Fuehrer's Face

Brig

thought some of you might be interested in seeing one of Walt Disney's shorts made during WWII, entitled Der Fuehrer's Face:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mZiRiIpZVF4

That is a great cartoon for sure. I have had it in my video files for a while now. I remember seeing it on TV in the seventies when I was a wee lad. Why it is considered a banned cartoon now I'll never figure out.

I've been looking for the cartoon version of the song to put on my website...seems like the only one I can find is the original Spike Jones version. Still good though.

One of my favourtie wartime Disney cartoons. I have some meorabilia form teh film that I'll post soon. By the way, the cartoon isn't banned...the Disney Company included the release on the DVD they issued on their war work a year or so ago. I was able to visit the Disney Family Foundation's facility this past Wednesday and saw the Academy Award Walt Disney won for this film. Quite an experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, Where you able to get a photo of that Academy Award? That would be great to see. Id put up the sheet music (both varieties) but knowing your outstanding collection. Ill look forward to what you have to post.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim.

I did take several photos at the warehouse facility including one of the large display cases that hold some of Walt Disney's Oscars. The one for this film was in the upper left corner. I will ask their permission before posting the image.

I will post a whole string on this site about the film, but for those who cannot wait, please visit this link to my own blog which will give you some mroe background.

http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/search/labe...hrer%27s%20Face

David

Earlier this month I was invited by Walt Disney's daughter Diane Disney Miller to San Francisco, to discuss my role in the Disney Family Foundation's new Walt Disney Museum currently under construction on the grounds of the Presidio.

I have been asked to join the Foundation team as a consultant on Walt Disney's involvement in World War II. Many exciting topics were discussed. I will be loaning numerous items from my collection for display and I have been asked to be a guest lecturer on the topic. The Museum is scheduled to open in September 2009.

While in San Fran, I received a tour of the Foundation's current warehouse/museum facility and saw dozens of extremely interesting items. The attached photo shows a case of Walt Disney's personal Academy Awards. The Oscar in the top left side is the one Walt Disney accepted at the 1943 ceremony for der Fuehrer's Face, which won the Academy Award for Best Cartoon Short Subject in 1942.

Also seen in the photo in the bottom middle shelf (with the seven little Oscars on the stairs), is the special Oscar given to Walt Disney in recognition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

dff_oscar_edit.JPG

Thanks Jim...it was a very interesting trip and I am thrilled that I can help add to the history that will be told at the museum. BTW, they plan to have Walt Disney's awards on display so if you get to San Fran, you will be able to see them too!

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

That sheet music is the second printing. The first had the tagline "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land" which was printed underneath the line that read "from the Walt Disney Motion Picture"

The sheet music with the Nutzi Land reference was the first printing. A friend owns the original art for this sheet music, which was designed by Disney artist Ward Kimball, who, among other things, was instrumental in creating the final design for Jiminy Cricket.

That sheet music is the second printing. The first had the tagline "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land" which was printed underneath the line that read "from the Walt Disney Motion Picture"

The sheet music with the Nutzi Land reference was the first printing. A friend owns the original art for this sheet music, which was designed by Disney artist Ward Kimball, who, among other things, was instrumental in creating the final design for Jiminy Cricket.

Dave, any chance you could get a picture of the original artwork?

It would be interesting to see it.

RC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And the image as it was used on the cover of the Studio's 1943 employee newsletter, which was more like a small booklet than a newsletter:

blog dispatch.JPG

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This one and one of Disney's other propaganda films, Chicken Little, are my favorites. Education For Death is pretty dark, although that film does have one funny sequence showcasing a caricatured Hitler loading a rather large-chested Germania onto his horse. I love how poor Donald does his exercies in Der Fuehrer's Face.