Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial

Sabrejet

Johan's thread on the American Cemetery in Florence, Italy, prompted me to look up my photo-files on the American Cemetery near Cambridge, England. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate them all. However, the link posted below is far more comprehensive than my pics.

It's a truly beautiful setting which is maintained to the highest possible standard...a fitting resting place / memorial for the fallen and missing. Even the late, great Glen Miller is listed there. American visitors to the UK often visit the historic university cities of Oxford and Cambridge. If you ever visit the latter you must also try to fit in a visit to the cemetery. You will not regret it.

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/ca.php

post-8022-1313591296.jpgpost-8022-1313591311.jpg

Ian :salute:

post-8022-1313591283.jpg

I attended the 50th Anniversery of the end of WWII ceremony in 1995 there and it was a real tear jerking event. After VP Gore did his speach, they had a bagpiper play out in the cemetary. As he was playing, the Sally B B-17 flew over in formation with the Fighter Collection's P-51 and P-47. Seeing the WWII vets weep really got my eyes watering! VERY touching. I was really honored to be able to attend that event.

-Ski

I attended the 50th Anniversery of the end of WWII ceremony in 1995 there and it was a real tear jerking event. After VP Gore did his speach, they had a bagpiper play out in the cemetary. As he was playing, the Sally B B-17 flew over in formation with the Fighter Collection's P-51 and P-47. Seeing the WWII vets weep really got my eyes watering! VERY touching. I was really honored to be able to attend that event.

-Ski

Must've been a never to be forgotten experience Eric? I take it you were still in uniform back then?

Ian

Must've been a never to be forgotten experience Eric? I take it you were still in uniform back then?

Ian

Yep. I was stationed at Mildenhall with the 352nd SOG.

-Ski