USS Intrepid

Sabrejet

"My visit there last week coincided with the worst thunderstorm NYC had experienced for many a year!"

We just wanted to make sure you felt right at home. :w00t:

Thanks for sharing the pics and glad you enjoyed your trip!

RJ

Hello Irwin....yes, it is. There's also a Tomcat and F-8 Crusader too. It was raining soooo heavily I had to cut and run, so unfortunately I didn't get close-up and personal with them! :pinch:

Ian

Really impressive bird so to speak.

I saw one up close at the Pima Air Museum in Arizona back in 1992.

Erwin ;)

It's awesome! There's also one in the American Air Museum at Duxford...under cover, not exposed to the elements like the Intrepid exhibit.

Ian

Ian, I am so sorry that you got rained out for visiting this site. I noticed in your photos that the rain was progressively coming down harder and harder. As I was looking at them, I was wondering at what point you would give in and seek shelter. I hope the carrier itself was worth the trip.

My trick is I normally show up at museums on the day they are closed. Same with antique malls. The internet has helped with this, but even then you are still at the mercy of the vacation whims of the staff or owner.

I have a good friend living in the New York area, and based on her FACEBOOK posts they have had rain, rain and more rain. The weather has just been completely off this year for most of the USA.

Hello Gil. Well...I reasoned I'd come all that way and then spent all that money on a cab and admission fees etc., so be damned if it rained! I was going to get my money's worth....and boy did it rain! One can only get so wet. Once you are, that's it. I literally could not have been wetter had I jumped fully clothed into a swimming pool! Apart from that 2 hour interlude it was blue-skies all the way with highs of 91 degrees and very humid.

Ian :w00t:

thanks for sharing your adventure, Ian. You'll have to return when Intrepid gets a retired space shuttle on display. That's going to be incredible :w00t:

Terry

Excellent Shots taken there Ian :thumbsup: Well Done looks like you had a good time over there !

There seems to be a lot, lot More Fighter-Planes added to that Aircraft Carrier from picture i have seing before

as my brother was on it a couple of years ago and from the pictures there wasent that much stuff on it.

Thanks for sharing them with us Impressive Shots.

Thanks Tomas. I first visited her in 2001. Since then she's been towed away to dry-dock for re-fitting and new exhibits were subsequently added, plus some of the older ones have been given new colour schemes.

Ian

Thanks Tomas. I first visited her in 2001. Since then she's been towed away to dry-dock for re-fitting and new exhibits were subsequently added, plus some of the older ones have been given new colour schemes.

Ian

Your Welcome Ian :thumbsup: She sure does look to have a lot of very intresting Aircraft

on it fully loaded hopefully i will be there too i am also planning to visit that vessel maybe late next year.

Take Care.

Thanks Leigh. :thumbsup:

RJ...rain like that I'd never experienced before! :pinch:

Ian

.......and be glad you got outta dodge when you did, it rained twice the amount in half the time this weekend.

thanks again for these and the pics in your other posts.

RJ