Florence American Cemetery & Memorial

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

While vacationing in Italy earlier this month I took some time out to visit the ABMC Cemetery and Memorial located near Firenze (Florence) Italy.

The cemetery holds roughly 4500 graves and lists the names of about 1400 missing, many AAF men or GIs from units that mainly fought in Italy in the latter part of WW2 (10Mtn, 1AD, 34ID, 88ID, 91ID etc...)

It is a very moving and quiet place; when I visited with my family we were the only ones there.

The Florence American Cemetery is located on the west side of Via Cassia, about 7½ miles south of Florence. The Rome-Milan A1 autostrada passes near the cemetery; its Certosa-Florence exit is 2 miles to the north. There is excellent train service to Florence from the principal cities of Italy; it is also served by some of the international trains. The "SITA" bus station provides frequent bus service along Via Cassia and there is a bus stop conveniently located just outside the cemetery gate.

More info: http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/fl.php

It's very nice to know that the grounds are kept so well and these men can Rest In Piece in such beautiful surroundings. :salute:

Thank you for the pictures.

Hi Johan,

Thank You Very Much for sharing these Excellent Photos and Information with us on the location !

Italy sure has a Beautiful Country side hope you had a good time over there.

These Brave Soldiers will never be forgotton ! :salute: :salute: