Any idea what this is?

Tonomachi

I've seen this embroidered CBI shoulder sleeve patch with an anchor being sold on eBay a number of times. The assumption I had as probably others was that is had something to do with SACO. I attended an insignia show yesterday and saw a leather verson of this CBI patch. I didn't buy it because it was rather pricey but the seller let me take a number of close up pictures. I was wondering if forum members who are experts with leather patches can take a look at this and give their opinions if this is a period made piece made during WW2. The theads in the leather passed the black light test.

post-1389-1313462610.jpg

post-1389-1313462619.jpg

post-1389-1313462629.jpg

post-1389-1313462638.jpg

post-1389-1313462646.jpg

I really dont like it.Anchor is pebbled much like pig skin.THe star is cut in an odd shape.Leather to thick.To crude for me.Even though the CBI patches were hand done there is still a better level of craftmanship.To many negatives for me to be intrested.

RD

I agree with RD that the leather patch is no good. To me the cuts in the star and sun are too precise, clean and sharp. It looks too new to be legit!

The cloth patch looks more the part, and I would say :thumbsup: to that one. If it's a fake, at least it's a better job!

I agree with RD that the leather patch is no good. To me the cuts in the star and sun are too precise, clean and sharp. It looks too new to be legit!

The cloth patch looks more the part, and I would say :thumbsup: to that one. If it's a fake, at least it's a better job!

In addition to the leather being the wrong kind, the sewing machine stitches are also a clue. These stitches are all identically spaced which means they were made on an ELECTRIC motor sewing machine. There was no such thing in India during WWII when they were making the legit leather-on-leather patches. They were powered using a pedal and the length of the stitches was dependent on the speed of the pedal. Even the best folks making these patches never had a constant speed on the pedal, resulting in the spaces between the stitches being non-uniform. Such are the little things that the repro artists are too lazy or cheap (or ignorant) to make them exactly like WWII. All the better for us, right?

Patch Johnson

Great information and thanks everyone for their input. It would appear that this might be a fantasy piece unless someone can come up with a period photo of someone wearing this style CBI shoulder patch.