French Airborne Troops Helmets - Indochina

Andrei

These are amazing, very interesting helmets and liners from a very interesting time period, i would love to find one of these!!!!....awesome!.....mike :thumbsup:

Moderator Update: I have just removed a good many posts about whether or not this is an item that qualifies to be on the USMF. For the record, it had already been determined that this thread does fit since this is a collectors forum and the item is a U.S. M-1 used by the French. The same would be true if this were something used by the Canadians or the Brazilians or any other of our allies who used U.S. made equipment.

Let's get this thread back on track and if anyone disagrees with me feel free to contact me by PM. Any other posts on this thread concerning this will be removed. Thanks for your cooperation.

Andre, thanks for sharing this amazing collection of Airborne helmets. I used to have a lot of French Airborne books and always admired those helmets and jump suits never realizing that they had two liners on them. I believe the 2nd REP was still wearing them when they went into Kolwezi. Any photos are greatly appreciated.

Moderator Update: I have just removed a good many posts about whether or not this is an item that qualifies to be on the USMF. For the record, it had already been determined that this thread does fit since this is a collectors forum and the item is a U.S. M-1 used by the French. The same would be true if this were something used by the Canadians or the Brazilians or any other of our allies who used U.S. made equipment.

Let's get this thread back on track and if anyone disagrees with me feel free to contact me by PM. Any other posts on this thread concerning this will be removed. Thanks for your cooperation.

I think this subject does belong on the forum for just the reasons you quoted. I would like a section of the forum to look at foreign camoflage, but that might be pushing it.

Andre, thanks for sharing this amazing collection of Airborne helmets. I used to have a lot of French Airborne books and always admired those helmets and jump suits never realizing that they had two liners on them. I believe the 2nd REP was still wearing them when they went into Kolwezi. Any photos are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.

At Kolwezi, the 2REP jumped with french TAP56 helmets and... with US T-10 parachutes. ;)

• 7 years later...

attachicon.gifPICT0045.JPG

Unfortunately, I do not have the cloth chinstrap. It is made of the same thick cotton used for the TT47 uniform and its design is very basic. A friend of mine has a original one. One of these days, I'm gonna butcher a TT47 jacket and have it made...

This young Vietnamese paratrooper displays a good view of the chinstrap.

I'm currently looking into M1 helmets used by French para's so I'm kicking this old topic up... The helmet in the picture also seems to have the Clip-on chinstraps on the shell? First time I've seen that in Indo-China, very interesting.

juodonnell2012

My main focus of collecting is actually indochina. I have a few helmets and have done research on what the French received helmet wise. It seems the French received the newer 50s made McCord made helmets with the green painted metal hardware chinstraps, but no liners to go with them. They start appearing around 52 or so and are very common especially during later operations like hirondelle and Castor.