French Airborne Troops Helmets - Indochina

Andrei

juodonnell2012

It is almost certainly a fake. The yokes look identical to a run my friend made years ago out of original French materials. The liner also appears to be a P55 type made with olive green canvas webbing which the French never received, all of their liners were of ww2 surplus.

It is almost certainly a fake. The yokes look identical to a run my friend made years ago out of original French materials. The liner also appears to be a P55 type made with olive green canvas webbing which the French never received, all of their liners were of ww2 surplus.

I'll take some more pics but the liner suspension is tan, just darkened. Also, see the M1C snap on the liner?

What is the difference between mine and the one the other person posted?

juodonnell2012

The weave of the liner should be HBT not the canvas type pictured, even the French webbing was HBT, looks like someone took a very salty p55 airborne liner with the factory yokes removed and added the indochina yokes. The m1c snap also looks like it was made from a p55 liner. The French never received such liners, as they were produced too late for indochina. Even if it was a rewebbed one by the French the webbing would still have the French HBT webbing. Also the band appears to be a one made from NOS 60s or 70s material, all examples I have seen that still had the band were ww2 surplus m44 bands which have a horizontal weave to them. It looks liked it is a very good fake, but there are some issues with it.

juodonnell2012

Also, for the French market these are the most heavily faked helmets out there from this period. For collectors of French indochina, the Troupes Aeroportees Extreme Orient modified helmets are like M2 D bail helmets. Finding an original one is like finding the holy grail, unfortunately the market is flooded with so many good fakes out there.

juodonnell2012

The previously shared liner has thicker woven off white materials, the base is a ww2 U.S surplus liner with hbt weave webbing and front eyelet. Multiple zig zag reinforcements on the kidney shaped yoke. French parkerized/chemical washed A washers attaching the field expedient yoke.Although there is some variety of different manufactured yokes all of the different varieties (3 I believe) were manufactured in just a very few tailor shops and conform to eachother, much like the original one posted. If you take your liner out is there a front eyelet?

The previously shared liner has thicker woven off white materials, the base is a ww2 U.S surplus liner with hbt weave webbing and front eyelet. Multiple zig zag reinforcements on the kidney shaped yoke. French parkerized/chemical washed A washers attaching the field expedient yoke.Although there is some variety of different manufactured yokes all of the different varieties (3 I believe) were manufactured in just a very few tailor shops and conform to eachother, much like the original one posted. If you take your liner out is there a front eyelet?

Yes there's definitely a front eyelet.

The French never received such liners, as they were produced too late for indochina. Even if it was a rewebbed one by the French the webbing would still have the French HBT webbing.

Also, is there any information to back this up? Not trying to challenge your assessment just hungry for info on these.

Also, is there any information to back this up? Not trying to challenge your assessment just hungry for info on these.

Liners with OD #7 cotton suspension weren't even made yet by the time that conflict ended.

Liners with OD #7 cotton suspension weren't even made yet by the time that conflict ended.

What color suspension did the US use in Korea?

• 4 months later...

After the visit of general de Lattre to the USA, the MDAP started to supply the CEFEO and post WW2 M1 helmets were sent to Indochina.

After the visit of general de Lattre to the USA, the MDAP started to supply the CEFEO and post WW2 M1 helmets were sent to Indochina.

What year was that?