PASGT helmet - date of manufacture?

poch

Hi there,

I have a PASTG helmet and I would like to know when it was produced. I am a little bit confused by its marking. There is "#" mark before DLA number (year 83) and also NSN number. I have never seen this type of marking. It is not in Reynosa´s book either :(

Was this helmet produced in 1983 or later under the contract from 1983 year?

Thanks for help.

Pavel

Sorry for poor photo quality.

post-10064-1313391752.jpg

DLA is contract number, so it can be produced in 1983 or later. But you've right, that's probably an early production. Manufacturer is Gentex.

Don't forget a book is never totaly complete....something, we miss the informations necessary to complete it. An author don't not always have access to all variants.

Heylo...

There is nothing odd at all in how your helmet is marked... that is simply how Gentex marked these at that particular point in time. Gibraltar also used an identical stamping on their helmets, which is understandable as their contract was completed with the help of Gentex. It's from a 1983 contract, and it was almost certainly manufactured before 1991. Look at the top of the inside of the helmet, and see what numbers are stamped onto the surface. Usually there is a date stamped with the last two numbers of the year indicated, such as "86" or something like that. This would give you a closer estimate for dating the helmet.

Also, this type of marking is indeed in the Reynosa book, illustrated with both a picture of a Gentex and Gibraltar helmet. The Gentex example he gives is badly worn and difficult to see, but it is indeed the same mark.

Hope this helps!