Personal Purchase, AEF Service Coat. S/Sgt MTC

Russell 1910

Picked up this service coat recently at a local shop. Looks to be custom tailored with nice officer quality material throughout. S/Sgt MTC rank chevron, honorable discharge, vegetable ivory buttons. US disc and a browish colored (similar to the buttons) MTC disc. Both are screw back. It has been worn as there is a slight bit of wear in the collar and arm pits, but other wise it was well cared for.

I got the uniform home and went through the pockets a second time and then located the single ID tag in the lower pocket, having not noticed it earlier! Sadly no shoulder insignia.

I am trying to locate some info on him through the various genealogy sites, but no certain luck yet. If my books are right his serial number appears to be one from the AEF block.

Any more info would be gladly appreciated.

post-141-1194483856.jpg

In another thread I just suggested we start a topic on "cool militaria stuff accidently discovered in pockets". This would be a good candidate. Nice uniform!

VAWARMEMORIAL

I got an M41 field jacket with a hand full of WWII patches in the pockets, I got the Jacket for 20 bucks and it had at least 30 bucks worth of patches. I found the patches a few minuets after I bought it, I went back to the dealer and told him about the patches and he said keep them their yours and more than likely goto the jacket, I have since bought many items from that dealer and he always gives me great deals, the jacket was a bit salty but it cleaned up nice, the patches are still in the pockets.

I did one time have a rather unexpected surprise here at the memorial, I was out of town and someone had donated a few things, there was a white cloth and a stack of papers and a few medals. Well in the cloth was a Walther PPK nice surprise right...... well upon further investigation I noticed that the hammer was back........ so I removed the clip and pulled the slide and there was a bullet in the chamber....... nothing like coming into work and having a loaded gun on your desk. Goes to show always always check to see if a gun is loaded because you never know. But the big surprise was when I read the papers it stated that the gentlemen who "liberated" this pistol had not touched it since he acquired it and never fired it. When I removed the bullets from the clip there were only four bullets including the one that was in the chamber, so if he didn't fire off the other four bullets the its former owner did. I labeled the bullets in the order in which they came out of the clip, one day I will put them back in minus the powder and minus the one in the chamber...

Great find! I haven't had a nice suprise like that in many years.

Just a note in passing. Prior to 1920, the single rocker below three chevrons was for Sergeant First Class, not Staff Sergeant.

Thanks for sharing his with us! thumbsup.gif