Gratitude Trains / Merci Trains

MWalsh

The Minnesota Military Museum at Camp Ripley, near Little Falls, has Minnesota's Merci Train / Graitude Train as given to the people of Minnesota after WW2 ended. In May of this year I was at the museum and took some pictures of MInnesota's train and posted them here. At the time I really did not have any idea of what the train was all about or of its significance; after making my posts here I saw what the real story was.

I was also asked to start a new thread on the trains, for better visibility of the topic, in the museums & monuments section here on the Forum.

I was glad to do so!

Attached are the few pics I took, I am also adding a few links to other websites on the topic. It is interesting to say the least. I encourage other Forum members to add to this post pictures or information about the entire Meric Train event, their state's trains, visits, pictures, etc.

Thanks!

MW

After decades of neglect, the "Merci Train" given to the State of Mississippi is now undergoing a complete restoration. Hopefully, it will once again look this good. Thanks for posting.

After decades of neglect, the "Merci Train" given to the State of Mississippi is now undergoing a complete restoration. Hopefully, it will once again look this good. Thanks for posting.

Bravo for Mississippi!

hbtcoveralls

I've seen 4 of them.

Pennsylvania's is at Ft Indiantown Gap under cover

Maryland's is at the B&O RR Museum in Baltimore

Georgia has their's at the museum of RR and CW heritage in Kennesaw GA

North Carolina has theirs at the RR museum in Spenser.

I don't yet know where SC has theirs

Tom Bowers

Cp. Perry, Port Clinton Ohio, has one as well. It's fully restored and I believe it's under cover as well? I'll be there in two weeks for the annual 37th Division Reunion and I'll take pics then.

My dad's still P.O.ed about the Nebraska car, it was in a city park for awhile and then hauled to a scrap yard across the street from Memorial Stadium, where the University of Nebraska plays football. They stripped the shields and wheels off of it and used it for a shed. When the team got good they kicked out the scrap yard and I heard they burned it to get all the metal in it.