54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Monument

Sabrejet

I daresay most forum-ers will have viewed the movie "Glory" starring Denzel Washington, which portrayed the story of the African-American 54th during the Civil War. This impressive bronze monument to those brave men can be found along Boston's "Freedom Trail", opposite the State House.

The 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment that saw extensive service in the Union Army during the American Civil War. The regiment was one of the first official black units in the United States during the Civil War. 1st South Carolina Volunteers (Union) recruited from freed slaves, was the first Union Army regiment organized with African American soldiers in the Civil War, though many had fought in the American Revolution and the War of 1812 on both sides.

post-8022-1313335984.jpg

Sabrejet

Such a beautiful monument... How lucky you are, that you were able to see it! I live in the States myself and haven't even seen it! Really cool! :thumbsup:

Visited Boston last summer. Took a guided tour along the Freedom Trail and our guide never even mentoned this-although there was alot of talk about the State house, the Commons, etc. I was bopping along walking back to the hotel when I literally stumbled across it. I remember seeing photos of it, and then recalled the 54th's parade (depicted in the movie) which marched down this street (I believe it is Beacon) along the Commons. Thanks for posting, I stopped and stared at this for a 1/2 hour and walked my family back to the monument. Says something about Boston when there is sooo much history and important sights that you can take a tour and not even see such an important monument to a regiment this historical. Thanks for posting.

Collector5516

I lived in Boston for a summer a few years ago and went to check out the monument. After stopping at the monument I went to look for Shaw's parents' house. I'm pretty sure I found it and it is now some sort of university building now.

Visited Boston last summer. Took a guided tour along the Freedom Trail and our guide never even mentoned this-although there was alot of talk about the State house, the Commons, etc. I was bopping along walking back to the hotel when I literally stumbled across it. I remember seeing photos of it, and then recalled the 54th's parade (depicted in the movie) which marched down this street (I believe it is Beacon) along the Commons. Thanks for posting, I stopped and stared at this for a 1/2 hour and walked my family back to the monument. Says something about Boston when there is sooo much history and important sights that you can take a tour and not even see such an important monument to a regiment this historical. Thanks for posting.

Glad to be of service! I did the Freedom Trail too...very interesting. I've added a thread about the USS Constitution too which, as you probably know, is also on the trail.

Ian

One of the best monuments of the Civil War. I live near Fort Johnson on the weekends at Folly Beach, South Carolina. Folly's Civil War history is pretty fascinating if you have never read about it. It was the Union staging area for the attack on Fort Johnson and Charleston. They just put a plaque up to honor the remains of African-American soldiers unearthed there some years ago. And don't forget about the 55th Massachusetts!

I stood there for the longest time as I viewed that monument. I didn't take the guided tour as I wanted to experience the history myself. This monument was surreal to see in person.