USS Constitution

Sabrejet

During my recent visit to Boston I took the opportunity to visit the USS Constitution which is permanently moored in Charlestown Navy Yard. The full address is as follows:

USS Constitution Museum

Building 22, Charlestown Navy Yard

Boston, MA 02129

Tel. (617)426-1812

Dating from 1797, this three-masted frigate is the oldest commissioned ship in the US Navy. She maintains this status as she is still afloat and seaworthy. She is crewed by active duty officers and men of the USN and to serve aboard her is considered a privilege.

The Constitution was blooded during the war of 1812 when she gained her nickname "Ol' Ironsides", said to have bestowed upon her by crewmen when British cannonballs were seen to bounce off her heavy oak hull!

After a long and illustrious career in the service of her country, the Constitution was retired and declared a museum ship. Over the years she has been refurbished to a very high standard and today looks as good as new! Her crew of 60 officers and sailors participate in ceremonies, educational programs and special events while keeping the ship open to visitors year-round and providing free tours. As I visited at the height of the summer season it inevitably meant standing in line for a time due to the number of visitors. Post 9/11 style security is strict but good-natured.

Once aboard, two kinds of tours are available...self-guided or led by a member of the crew. I chose the latter which was first-class. The young seaman/guide was very personable and knowledgeable and conducted us on a very informative and entertaining tour above and below decks.

As a bonus, the nearby museum building houses a range of interactive exhibits...great for kids...and a well-stocked gift shop. Also, anchored alongside the USS Constitution is the USS Cassin Young, a WW2 Fletcher Class destroyer which can be boarded and explored. If you're ever in the Boston area I'd heartily recommend you visit these wonderful exhibits. Hopefully the following pics will give you some idea of what to expect.

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/visit...CFcVO4QodjyaV0w

post-8022-1313331825.jpg

My ship was tied up in Boston for the 4th of july a few years back. we went onboard the Cassion Young, showed our AD ID cards and the park ranger allowed us to go below decks. What an experience !!. I thought it was tight on my DDG, This ship was made for a one way trip! When I saw the fwd turret penetrate the deck in the middle of CPO quarters, I knew no sleeping was going on here !!. Was a most enjoyable trip

My ship was tied up in Boston for the 4th of july a few years back. we went onboard the Cassion Young, showed our AD ID cards and the park ranger allowed us to go below decks. What an experience !!. I thought it was tight on my DDG, This ship was made for a one way trip! When I saw the fwd turret penetrate the deck in the middle of CPO quarters, I knew no sleeping was going on here !!. Was a most enjoyable trip

Is that so? We couldn't go below decks...just into the ward-room and upper deck areas. The galley was tiny! They didn't call these ships "tin cans" for nothing!

Sabrejet

Who's that guy with the naked face in post #12? :think:

Sjef...as long as it's just the face that's "naked" you've nothing to worry about!!

Ian :lol:

What a fun day and a very small world. We have the same shirt. Whats interesting is the design of this big frigate class changed naval warfare at the time.

What a fun day and a very small world. We have the same shirt. Whats interesting is the design of this big frigate class changed naval warfare at the time.

Obviously another man with a discerning sense of fashion!

Ian ;)