Women's Service Hat - What is it?

jimepkscom

Hello again. I just picked up this hat at an estate sale and thought it was a Wave's hat but all of the USN Wave hats I've seen and a US Navy band and are marked "WAVES" inside. This hat is marked "WOMEN'S SERVICE" It is size 23 and shows a contract number (no date). The hat is 100% wool and in three separate pieces: The main hat/brim, the navy blue band with trailing ribbon, and the white cotton cover. All are secured by four equally placed snaps. Any help, once again, would be most appreciated.

-Jim-

post-48353-1313281973.jpg

post-48353-1313281986.jpg

post-48353-1313282050.jpg

It's from the '50s/'80s/early70s. The old style WAVE pin on device would be pined to the front of the hat. This style was dropped in '75. The type you are talking about was the WW 2 style that went away in the mid '40s.

Steve Hesson

It's from the '50s/'80s/early70s. The old style WAVE pin on device would be pined to the front of the hat. This style was dropped in '75. The type you are talking about was the WW 2 style that went away in the mid '40s.

Steve Hesson

That should have read '50s/'60s/early'70s

Steve Hesson

Hello again. I just picked up this hat at an estate sale and thought it was a Wave's hat but all of the USN Wave hats I've seen and a US Navy band and are marked "WAVES" inside. This hat is marked "WOMEN'S SERVICE" It is size 23 and shows a contract number (no date). The hat is 100% wool and in three separate pieces: The main hat/brim, the navy blue band with trailing ribbon, and the white cotton cover. All are secured by four equally placed snaps. Any help, once again, would be most appreciated.

-Jim-

Navy contracts with numbers starting like this - "n140-62236s" - seem to be from the 50's and maybe late 40's. By the 60's it seems like this type of cap would have a "DA" contract prefix. Now the "N140" contract prefix showed up as late as 2004 contracts I have found online, but the numbering system after the prefix was quite different than what we see on this cap and other apparent 50's vintage N140 items, which apparently were contracted by the Navy Clothing Supply Office in New York.