23rd TFW Flying Tigers

48MMS

Patchcollector
www.a-10.org is another great site.

Thanks for the info,yes,it is a cool site,loaded with pics.

I'll put the link up here:

A-10.org

Here is a pic that I liked from the site

post-13386-1313590666.jpg

Patchcollector
A-10s were also based here at RAF Bentwaters with the 81st TFW. I have a couple of their patches.

post-8022-1313589123.jpg

Nice patch,like to see the others too! :thumbsup:

I found this additional info online:

The 81st began conversion to the Republic A-10 in June 1979. The A-10 being a single-seat, twin-engine jet aircraft designed to provide close air support (CAS) of ground forces by attacking tanks, armored vehicles, and other ground targets. With the A-10, the wing's mission changed to close air support and battlefield air interdiction in support of NATO ground forces.

It was decided to expand the 81st with six A-10 squadrons distributed over both Woodbridge and Bentwaters as follows:

78th Tactical Fighter (Woodbridge)

(Received A-10s 3 June 1979)

91st Tactical Fighter (Woodbridge)

(Received A-10s 24 August 1979)

92d Tactical Fighter (Bentwaters)

(Received A-10s 25 June 1979)

509th Tactical Fighter (Activated 1 October 1979) (Woodbridge) (Grey tail stripe)

(Received A-10s 1 October 1979)

510th Tactical Fighter (Activated 1 October 1978) (Bentwaters) (Purple tail stripe)

(Received A-10s 1 October 1979)

511th Tactical Fighter (Activated 1 January 1980) (Bentwaters) (Black tail stripe)

(Received A-10s 1 January 1980)

Patchcollector
I was with the 81st TFW from 1986-92, mainly with the 78th AMU, but also the 91st AMU, 81st EMS and the L.A.S.T.E. modification team.

I'm sure that you know alot about these tough birds then.Here is a webpage I found that is loaded with A-10 info,has a cool video,

and in the last paragraph,explains what the L.A.S.T.E. modification was.

A-10 webpage

I have 8 years of A-10 experience as a weapons loader. When I left in 1992 I had the fastest ammo load time for 1150 rounds of 30mm, 8 minutes from start to finish. I had 20 straight perfect QA evals on the gun installation, was the first crew chief to be qualified on loading the AIM-9 on a USAFE A-10 and my LASTE team was averaging 8 hours R-squaring a gun system when the USAF average was 72 hours. I was also at Eielson with the 18th TFS/AMU. Definitely an awesome jet, easier than loading the F-111 or lawn dart (F-16) but not as easy as the 0-2A ;)

Patchcollector
I have 8 years of A-10 experience as a weapons loader. When I left in 1992 I had the fastest ammo load time for 1150 rounds of 30mm, 8 minutes from start to finish. I had 20 straight perfect QA evals on the gun installation, was the first crew chief to be qualified on loading the AIM-9 on a USAFE A-10 and my LASTE team was averaging 8 hours R-squaring a gun system when the USAF average was 72 hours. I was also at Eielson with the 18th TFS/AMU. Definitely an awesome jet, easier than loading the F-111 or lawn dart (F-16) but not as easy as the 0-2A ;)

Wow! :w00t: Suffice it to say that you know a little about these planes! :lol: Eielson must have been a great posting,nice scenery.

I was just looking online,and at the website I mentioned earlier,found these great pics showing the "new" A-10's my old unit got.

Gotta love the unusual paintjob,they're known as the Blacksnakes,so that is what they put on their birds.

Here is a graphic,some pics,and a link to all rest of the awesome pics from the article:

Link

163rd FS,Fort Wayne,Indiana Blacksnake A-10 pics

post-13386-1313593343.jpg

post-13386-1313593614.jpg

Patchcollector
Found this online,some A-10 guys customized a van,hee ^_^

Hahaa,I just noticed something,the "engine cowls" on this A-10 van look suspiciously

like beer kegs! :lol:

You actually had an ALA that worked??? :blink:

Randy

• 4 years later...
firefighter

I agree that that is the best looking patch in the AF. I was stationed at England AFB 83-84.PC if you ever decide to sell or trade the large GRENADA patch please let me know.I was there when they were send planes down there and units from Ft Polk were all over the place.Closed down tighter than a crabs A**, and thats water tight.

23rd TFW "Gentle Paws.Sharp Claws". We said those A-10s had a killer smile.

• 1 year later...

I came across this again

The plane On the patch was from the 76th TFS “VANGUARDS”. There were thre Sqs at England, 74th, 75th, & 76th. The 76th was the only one deployed durn Operation Urgent Fury. If I remember right the were on an island just off of Grenada.

Again a very cool patch