23rd TFW Flying Tigers

48MMS

Patchcollector

I was saving this to post in a new thread I plan on starting called"Big @ssed patches",but when I saw this thread,

I decide to post this patch here.I've had this big beauty in my collection for some time now,it's huge(see my hand in the front view

pic for scale)well made and has great detail.It's the only one I have ever seen that is Air Force related,and commemorates the

Grenada action.Enjoy!

post-13386-1313520410.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is a list I found of Air Force units involved in the Grenada action,called"Operation Urgent Fury"

USAF

- 314th, 317th, 459th, 463rd TAW, C-130H, based at Little Rock, Pope, Andrews, and Dyess AFBs,

- 60th, 62nd, 63rd, 315th, 437th, 438th, and 514th MAW, C-141Bs, based at Travis, McChord, Norton, Charleston, andMcGuirre AFB,

- 436th and 512th MAW, C-5A, based at Dover AFB,

- 8th SOS, MC130E, based at Hurlburt Field AFB,

- 16th SOS/1st SOW, AC-130H Spectre, based at Bridgetown and Hurlburt Field AFB,

- 193rd ECS, EC-130E, based at Harrisburg AFB,

- 552nd ECS, E-3A, based at Tinker AFB,

- 71st ARS, KC-10A, based at Barkasdale AFB,

- 33rd TFW, F-15A, based at Eglin AFB, but forward-deployed to NAS Roosevelt Roads,

- 23rd TFW, A-10A, based at Eglin AFB and Bridgetown.

Patchcollector

I'm sure it was unofficial Sabre,but the interesting thing I found about the patch is that it actually has the unit designation on it,

on the tail of the plane!So,this is not the usual,generic Grenada action patch that is sometimes seen.

Well whatever it is, it's a beautifully made and exceptionally detailed patch...they don't come much better than that!

Ian :thumbsup:

Patchcollector
Well whatever it is, it's a beautifully made and exceptionally detailed patch...they don't come much better than that!

Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian,

I agree,it is a very handsome patch!It seems that everytime I look at it,I notice something that I had'nt seen before,

there's so much going on in this patch!For instance,I just noticed that there appears to be another set of "eyes" above

the big ones on the aircraft,right around the canopy.They're probably some kind of instrument,but to me they look like eyes!

Thanks Ian,

I agree,it is a very handsome patch!It seems that everytime I look at it,I notice something that I had'nt seen before,

there's so much going on in this patch!For instance,I just noticed that there appears to be another set of "eyes" above

the big ones on the aircraft,right around the canopy.They're probably some kind of instrument,but to me they look like eyes!

I see them! You have to admire the skill of the caricaturists who create these designs in the first place. It's very definitely a particularly American art-form. Nobody does it better!

Ian

Patchcollector

I agree,when it comes to cool patch designs,I think that the Yanks take 1st place! :lol:

I just noticed that there is smoke coming from the barrels of the cannon,or Gatling gun!

These days, the sad thing is that even though the designs might originate in the US, the actual embroidery is often contracted out to producers in China and Taiwan etc. That's progress?! :pinch:

Patchcollector
These days, the sad thing is that even though the designs might originate in the US, the actually embroidery is often contracted out to producers in China and Taiwan etc. That's progress?! :pinch:

Yes,I like the old American made Air Force unit patches,with the cloth back,those,to me,are some of the best.

Johnny Signor
A pic I found of a 23rd A-10

Are you sure this is a "23rd" A-10 ?????? I ask as it has the "SP" tail code and I think that was for Spangdahlem AB , and I thought the 23rd was out of Barksdale AFB, Louisiana ????????????? the 23rd had the LA tail code and always had the "shark mouth" .

Johnny

Patchcollector

I'm sure that you guys are correct,I did'nt look at the tailcode,just found it in a Google search,and that's what the caption was.

"EL" must be the tailcode,because that is what is upon the tail of the A-10 on my patch! :)

The 23rd's tail codes for the A-10/AO-10 Thunderbolt:

EL = England AFB (80-92) 23rd TFW/23rd FW

FT = Pope AFB (92-06) 23rd W/23rd FG

FT = Moody AFB (06-present) 23rd W (do not think they switch to MY)

Here is another big patch from the 23d TFW.

Mark

post-1786-1313547981.jpg

Patchcollector
The 23rd's tail codes for the A-10/AO-10 Thunderbolt:

EL = England AFB (80-92) 23rd TFW/23rd FW

FT = Pope AFB (92-06) 23rd W/23rd FG

FT = Moody AFB (06-present) 23rd W (do not think they switch to MY)

Here is another big patch from the 23d TFW.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Patchcollector

I just found this awesome A-10 website,called the Warthog News!Interestingly,the lead article is called "Pigs" Fly Over The 122nd Fighter Wing",

which is based in my hometown,Fort Wayne,Indiana.I was actually assigned to the Air National Guard there,but only for a few months before I moved to Florida,

where I have lived ever since.When I was there,they were flying F-4's!Then after I left,they transitioned to F-16's,now it appears that they are flying A-10's!

Oh well,enough reminiscing,here's the link to the "Warthog News"!

Warthog News website